Dank IPA recipe and schedule check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jel91

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on a recipe for a dank piney IPA with some floral/fruity in the background, and I have come up with something like this. I've never used Chinook before, and I have only recently started playing around with my own recipes so I would appreciate any input about this recipe and hop schedule.

This is a recipe for 10 gallons

20 lbs 2 row
2 lbs oats
0.8 lb carapils
9 oz caramunich 2

1 oz Columbus @ 60
1.7 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 10
0.7 oz Centennial @ 10
1.4 oz Centennial @ flameout
1.4 oz Simcoe @ flameout
1.7 oz Chinook @ flameout
1.7 oz Columbus @ flameout

dry hop for 5 days with 2 oz of each hop

I think this looks pretty good overall. You could consider shifting some more Columbus to flameout and more Simcoe to dry hop, that might help you get a nice dank base in the flavor with a bigger fresh pine/fruit aroma. I can't comment much on the Chinook as I'm personally not a fan.

I love the recipe and would commit 20 pounds of GP to it. It will be interesting to read if the Centennial makes an evident appearance in that recipe (I'm guessing that's where the OP perceives a potential floral contribution) given Simcoe/Chinook/Columbus are big bold hops when used for late additions. But even if it doesn't this should be a great beer for those who like to get punched in the mouth :D

Cheers!

I'm trying to put something like this together. I've been doing nothing but fruity hazy IPAs and pilsners for awhile and want to do something piney and resiney, and I have a lb of chinook I need to open and use. Problem is I haven't used chinook a ton and don't know how big of a fan I am. Let me know how yours turns out although I'll probably have to brew mine before you're able to provide feedback. I was going to do chinook, simcoe and cascade.

Hi, I'm working on a recipe for a dank piney IPA with some floral/fruity in the background, and I have come up with something like this. I've never used Chinook before, and I have only recently started playing around with my own recipes so I would appreciate any input about this recipe and hop schedule.

This is a recipe for 10 gallons

20 lbs 2 row
2 lbs oats
0.8 lb carapils
9 oz caramunich 2

1 oz Columbus @ 60
1.7 oz Simcoe @ 10
1 oz Chinook @ 10
0.7 oz Centennial @ 10
1.4 oz Centennial @ flameout
1.4 oz Simcoe @ flameout
1.7 oz Chinook @ flameout
1.7 oz Columbus @ flameout

dry hop for 5 days with 2 oz of each hop
Just curious if you are dumping the listed hops at flameout I’m assuming you are starting chilling immediately? Reason why I ask is that I’m wondering how much time these flameout additions last prior to dumping to fermenter at pitching temps. Thanks!

If you want dank with touch of something fruity or citrus, try eureka. And possibly strata. Personally id swap either of those for the columbus, as i find it a bit harsh. But if you already ha e simcoe in there maybe that’s enough of the fruity angle for you. Just depends on how dank you trying to go.

Are you planning on treating your water? Also what’s your mash temp?

For your hop schedule I would change it up a bit. Just feel like you are adding too much. Especially towards flame out and dry hop. less is more. Here’s how I’d approach utilizing these hops.

I’d even bump up your base grain to reach a starting OG of 1.065-1.068 mash at 148-150

.5 oz warrior FWH
.5 oz ctz 60
1 oz Simcoe 20
1 oz Centennial 15
1 oz Chinook 10
1 oz CTZ 5

Flame Out
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz chinook
1 oz CTZ
1 oz Centennial
Rest for 15 mins then chill.

Dry hop @ 1.030
.5 each
*use a filter bag so you can remove the hop debris

Follow up with your diacetyl rest

Dry hop again when you get close to your final gravity so around 1.015. remember to remove the first dose of dry hops.
Add your second dose of .5 each *also use a hop bag.

Once your beer has reach FG taste your beer. If you feel the need to add more, add another .5 each for 2-3 days or keg hop it.

This is just how I add a large dose of hops with out getting that hop burn, grassy vegetal, hop creep flavor.

Last edited:
Just my 2c on the Chinook. I find it to be a harsh bitterness when boiled for more then 45 min. It's one of my base hops (like a LB a year) and gose extremely well with all the above mentioned hops. I use it mostly at 10 , 0 , and +10 at 170*.

Back