Good Books? Want to Raise my Education Level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DHeinz44

Reaction score
Hey looking for some good books on brewing. Want to raise my understanding of brewing. Any suggestions? Looking to learn more about the brewing process and techniques and why things are done certain ways, different types of ingredients and why some work better together than other and then also just general brewing knowledge. Thanks for the help

The holy trinity

Designing Great Beers Ray Daniels
Brewing Classic Styles Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer
How To Brew John Palmer

Brewing Classic Styles is more of a recipe book than a "how to", but still worth having. Good recipes to get you in the right direction.

The holy trinity

How To Brew John Palmer

Brewing Classic Styles is more of a recipe book than a "how to", but still worth having. Good recipes to get you in the right direction.

What he said. Another one I would add is "Tasting Beer". Very helpful in learning how to describe what you are tasting.

The holy trinity

How To Brew John Palmer

+eleventy.

I think we should have a sticky that says just that. :mug:

The holy trinity

How To Brew John Palmer

If you don't either of these, you need to now. Brewing Classic Styles isn't going to teach you how to brew but it is going to provide you with good solid recipes that when brewed well are winners. The Kolsch recipe is my favorite.

How to Brew by Palmer
Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil and Palmer
Brewmasters Bible by Snyder

These three are what I have and were a great place to start. How to Brew covers EVERYTHING that a beginner needs to know, especially when/if u decide to go to AG. I've also purchased a book on clone brews and im now starting to look into books on Yeast as well as Palmers upcoming book on water for brewing.

And currently on my wishlist on amazon are...

Brewing up a Business and Extreme Brewing, both by Sam Calagione from Dogfish Head
Radical Brewing and Tasting Beer, both by Randy Mosher
As far as tasting, anything by Michael Jackson (The beer guy not the singer) is great.

All of the above books, plus I received a subscription to BYO magazine as a gift this year, which is pretty nice.

Palmer of course.
I also like Snyder's 'Brewmaster's Bible'
And of course, don't forget Charlie P.s 'Complete joy of Homebrewing' and 'Homebrewer's Companion'. Not as detailed as Palmer and Snyder, but Charlie is darn entertaining! Plus there's some good recipes in there.
And he's the originator of RDWHAHB!!!

Two books that haven't been mentioned that I appreciate are Radical Brewing by Randy Kosher and The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver.

The Brewmaster's Table is my current bowl reading. I don't understand half the cooking terms, but he does a brilliant job outlining the styles and their histories.

Yeah... everything that has been posted +1. I think I have every one of them almost.

Lager book by noonan is great if you are interested in that. Some of the individual "style" books are really intersting - "Mild", "Pilsner", etc....

Zymurgy and Brew Your Own subscriptions are both nice as well..... as well as some of the back issues you can order.

PODCASTS - The Brewing Network - take advantage of these - there is a wealth of information.

OFF TOPIC: Guy gavriel Kay's saratine mosaic series, mark lawrence's broken empire series, brandon sanderson's mystborn series, Michael j Sullivan's riyria revelations, and anything by Joe Abercrombie...learned plenty from these and others myself, but nothing about brewing unfortunately. imma start a what are you reading thread.

Two books that haven't been mentioned that I appreciate are Radical Brewing by Randy Kosher and The Brewmaster's Table by Garrett Oliver.

I will second Radical Brewing, love that book. Its more like a fun conversation about beer throughout history, I learned a lot more from it than I thought and still read it for fun now and again.

Back