How to get to target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justo05

Reaction score
F my beer is sitting a 1.012 after 8 day n my target is 1.008 how do I get it ther thanks I'm new to brewing might b silly q

How many times have you checked gravity? Generally rule of thumb is that if it's been at the same reading for 3 days straight your beer has finished fermenting. At this point I don't know if there is really anything you can do. I'd let it sit a few more days and check the reading again, if it's still at 1.012 I'd say go ahead and bottle.

I'm sure someone else with more experience will give you better advice.

What was the OG and what was the yeast?

I won't be able to tell but I'm sure someone more experienced then me can tell you if 4 gravity points is a big deal. (I'll bet anything that it's not.)

At any rate if it's stabilized it's stabilized. Target final gravity is, according to my understanding, a target. Actual reality may vary.

Oh. and, as always, calibrate your hydrometer and blah, blah, blah.

4 points is nothing. Like the others said, wait and check gravity over a few days to make sure it's stabilized, but it's not worth the contamination risk to try to get it down any lower. Chances are you won't notice any difference between 1.012 and 1.008 anyway.

Assuming that the gravity is stable at 1.012, there is very little that you can do to get it any lower. If all the fermentable sugars have been consumed then the yeast are done.

Generally speaking, I don't think four gravity points is anything to worry about as long as you've hit final gravity by checking intermittently. As long as you like the beer is really all that counts.

However, if you're after a specific beer profile then four gravity points IS significant. The difference in 1.020 and 1.016 would be noticeable in an IPA, especially if you didn't plan for it with your bittering charge; let alone a lighter, less hoppy beer (think cream ale). The difference of 1.010 and 1.006 in a saison is HUGE in my opinion - I want my saisons dry and crisp without much sweet.

In the grand scheme of things, four points is no worries but being able to predict and hit your FG will aid you in balancing your recipe to fit a specific style/profile.

Back