You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-You know it's time to brew when you are down to four cases of home brew... Going to be close...

I just kicked the last keg of my pale ale. The belgian blonde isn't my type of beer at all. My wife likes it though. That means I'm down to odd-and-end bottles of what-not, much of which I like to save for a rainy day or company visiting. I brewed tuesday night, though, and it's already at high krausen, so I may just nudge it along and be drinking it by this time next week!

I'm down to less than a couple cases myself. Still waiting for my Maori IPA to knock off the last couple points & clear up more so I can dry hop a week before bottling. Gotta check it in a while. I got two PM Berlin Wheat beer kits from midwest to brew up as well,but I can only do one this weekend. Have to wait for the IPA in the other fermenter to get done & dry hop. So maybe brew'em a week apart...:mug:

I don't think I could keep track of numerous bottled batches. I'm always in a hurry, brewing late at night or off to a soccer game afterwards, etc. I can hardly keep up with my yeast storage. The other night a neighbor needed some S-05 and I opened the mason jar to taste it, just to make sure it wasn't a belgian...

tre9er said:
I don't think I could keep track of numerous bottled batches.

I currently have 8 different batches bottled. Each bottle is labeled on its cap with 1 or 2 letters and the # for when it was filled.

I've been getting really inconsistent carbonation so I've been numbering and taking detailed notes, trying to find a solution.

When you struggle with whether or not to buy a 6-pack of a craft beer that you really like, because the bottle caps are twist-off.

Is that like why I prefer drinking Lagunitas for the bottles only having one label to remove.

A twist off on craft sounds like a holy sin.

It can, and has been done.

The only problem is that twist-off's have thinner glass in the neck and don't hold up to repeated reuse as well as thicker pry-off's.

You add Fermcap to your morning oatmeal to prevent boilovers. I think I've seen similar in this thread before, but it was a first for me! And it works very well.

When you take the day off to have guys come work on the house and you take the opportunity to brew with all these guys coming through.

When you buy a beer just to compare to your homebrew an simply tell yourself.... "Ummm. Yea just what I thought, mines better"

Lol I have one of these with me or at least near by:
http://www.niteize.com/product/S-Biner-Ahhh.asp

On a side note; I thought the whole bench capper being able to cap twist off was a joke here on HBT or a myth that it could be done?

Almost all of my beer is twist off. I use a bench capper, and I "double tap" for a good seal. By "double tap" I mean I pump the handle twice to make sure I get a good seal. You can tell it's well sealed when your bottle caps are a little bit concave on the top.

I mostly use easy-cap "grolsch" style swing-top bottles for my beer when I bottle, but if I run out it's all twist off.

Just discovered that I don't have enough bottles for wine bottling. So I double checked how many almost empty liquor bottles I have to see if it would make up the difference.

When you just spent a week in Jamaica...

(...view from the bar, Ocho Rios...)
13+-+1

...and had to admit that fresh Red Stripe is pretty good when its hot and you need a break from the sun and the rum, but still couldn't stop thinking about that Vienna Simcoe SMaSH carbing up at home!

Finally drinking the SMaSH now, and while I miss the beach, the homebrew isn't disappointing!

When you are baking like a potato on the patio but find some shade for your beer cuz you don't want it to skunk in the sun!

ForumRunner_20130521_191804.jpg

worksnorth said:
When your wife wants you to help her make soap and the bright idea pops into your head to scent some of the soap with hops!!!

I got my boss to make me hop scented candles.

When your coolers are not filled with full bottles of beer, they are filled with empty bottles of beer (because you have no where else to put them).

Back