God Damn White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
My Vial of Munich Helles exploded and I was only able to get half the yeast in my started. I am thinking it should be sufficients. My starter size is 1500ml. Any thoughts?

You have to burp the gas out of the vial a little at a time,just like a 2L soda bottle when you first get it home. Otherwise,you get beersuvious. But a 1500mL starter should get it back pretty close anyway.

Yea. I usually do that but for some reason this one went nuts.I burped it about 5 times over a 2 hours period. I opened it it blew. This is the reason why I am thinking of switching to Wyeast. Much more convinient.

I used 2 vials of their WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast & burped'em 3-4 times. This after having sat in the fridge for a week or so,then on the counter warming up. One of the vials almost blew,but I caught it in time. Musta been a really activer one? I saved all the yeast from those two batches. I got two packs of the wyeast Bavarian Wheat blend for two Berliner wheat beers I'll be doing. First time with the activators,so we'll see how that goes.

I usually just warm them up and open them without burping! I guess I've been lucky because I never thought of this happening.

I used Wyeast before I just think White Labs have better quality yeast. Maybe its just because of the packaging, but if everytime I buy a vial half of it blows all over the place its really not worth it. This is the first time I actually opened one of their lager yeasts though and this one was insane. The last two WLP565 and WLP545 didn't do anything. Who knows.

The only one that's ever done that to me is the English ale yeast. It's gnar too, I burped it about 8-9 times and then said **** it and quickly unscrewed it and dumped it into my flask.

I've not had a problem with WL's ale yeasts as long as I burp them right out of the fridge and let them warm up to room temp with the cap loose, but last month I used one of their lager strains for the first time and it really took some effort on my part to keep it from erupting. I was a bit surprised at the amount of work I had to put in with that one.

The WL029's were the first time I used liquid yeast. Only one reacted like it wanted to blow,but I did catch it before it did. i honestly think some are just more active than others. I kept both in the same lil butter cubby on the fridge door. Both together on the island till needed to warm up. So it has to be the activity level of the particular vial,imo so far?...

Lol, I used English ale about 4 months ago and nothing. Damn stuff Flocculates like crazy though. Huge chunks floating around my carboy.

The WL029's were the first time I used liquid yeast. Only one reacted like it wanted to blow,but I did catch it before it did. i honestly think some are just more active than others. I kept both in the same lil butter cubby on the fridge door. Both togetyher on the island till needed to warm up. So it has to be the activity level of the particular vial,imo so far?...

I had a san Francisco lager yeast from them erupt as well. It seems like the lager strain from WL is a bit feisty. Although, I think you're probably on the right path with this theory.

Personally,I'm glad White Lab's yeast is a lil feisty. Proves it's viability. Just some are more viable than others with the burping thing being the proof,imo.

Latest posts

Back