Munich Helles Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After another week and a half, the carbonation is getting there---it's at a level that might be considered intentional, but I think it'll continue to increase. All the bitter / grapefruit is gone. It's everything I'd hoped it'd be (and I think it'll improve further as the carbonation finishes).

Racked to secondary today after 15 days in the primary. Gravity was 1.016. First time using Pacman ... love it. The hydrometer sample was so good.

Should be brewing this in the next week. My buddy is coming back for the holidays with some pacman for me.

If I wanted to do this as an extract(I believe it would actually have to be a partial mash) I would use

7.5lb Maris Otter LME
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Mash at 156-158 for 45 minutes
then follow the rest as normal, correct?

If I wanted to do this as an extract(I believe it would actually have to be a partial mash) I would use

7.5lb Maris Otter LME
1 pound Cara-Munich
1 pound Munich
1/2 pound crystal 40L

Mash at 156-158 for 45 minutes
then follow the rest as normal, correct?

Yes, that seems right.

I am going to cold crash for 5 days or so before kegging. Would that hurt this beer? Is a D-rest required? Thanks in advance.

I am going to cold crash for 5 days or so before kegging. Would that hurt this beer? Is a D-rest required? Thanks in advance.

I gave mine a week or two of cold crashing and it didn't hurt anything.

As for the D-rest, it probably depends on the yeast and the temperature. Taste and see. If you taste butter or butterscotch, give it the rest. In my case with WLP007, no rest was required, even with a ferment just below the recommended range for that yeast. There's not a trace of diacetyl.

I gave mine a week or two of cold crashing and it didn't hurt anything.

As for the D-rest, it probably depends on the yeast and the temperature. Taste and see. If you taste butter or butterscotch, give it the rest. In my case with WLP007, no rest was required, even with a ferment just below the recommended range for that yeast. There's not a trace of diacetyl.
I used pacman yeast - fermented at 60-61. Don't taste any butterscotch in the sample. Which yeasts could contribute the added butterscotch taste? Thanks.

I don't know in detail, I've never encountered it except with second-generation WLP833 (bock lager yeast). As I understand it, most ale yeasts produce little enough and/or consume diacetyl fast enough that it's rarely a problem. Lager yeasts are a lot more likely to produce it, and don't consume it rapidly at low temperatures, hence the rest. Most ale fermentations don't bother with a rest, partly because they are already fermenting in the mid-to-upper 60s.

If you don't taste the off-flavor in a sample, it's not going to be produced during a cold crash, so there's no need to do the rest. It won't hurt anything, though, so if you're paranoid and can spare a couple days, there's not really a reason *not* to do one.

Thanks zeg. As you suggested, as I don't taste any off flavors, I will just cold crash at between 40 and 45 for 7-10 days. Thanks again.

I kegged this about 2 weeks ago. And it is finally starting to taste like DGA. Great recipe. Another winner from Yooper.

Agree. Just follow the recipe exactly and you'll get great results. I've tried it with hop substitutions and different yeasts. Pacman is a must if you want DG, period

For a DG clone, you're probably right. But I have to say, as I posted upthread, I brewed "this" using Vienna malt, subbing out the hops, and using WLP007.... after a somewhat extended bottle conditioning, it's finally hit its prime and it is fantastic. It's not DG, but it's certainly similar (and good).

So, clone or not, I think the recipe proporitons here are a winner.

zeg said:
For a DG clone, you're probably right. But I have to say, as I posted upthread, I brewed "this" using Vienna malt, subbing out the hops, and using WLP007.... after a somewhat extended bottle conditioning, it's finally hit its prime and it is fantastic. It's not DG, but it's certainly similar (and good).

So, clone or not, I think the recipe proporitons here are a winner.

Well yeah. But this is a DG clone recipe and I in no way meant imply that variations won't make great beer. But people looking here are undoubtedly looking for a clone, not a cousin...

This is next in line for brewing, but since I buy hops 1oz at a time, I was wondering if I used some of the Saaz as bittering hops and reduce the perle, if it would be ok? I am ok with a overall slightly lower IBU.

boil 60 min 0.500 Perle ~ pellet
boil 60 min 0.500 Saaz ~ pellet
boil 30 min 0.250 Perle ~ pellet
boil 5 min 0.250 Perle ~ pellet
boil 5 min 0.250 Saaz ~ pellet

I picked up the ingredients for this the other day, Along with a 6 pack of dead guy. I found I don't like it. So I added some cascade and centennial with a little simcoe to the boil.

I put a slight spin on this to ferment on Sunday and it's still going strong! In fact it's bubbling into my airlock and out the side of a 6.5 gallon bucket... Yikes!

But it smells great so I'll clean it up and keep an eye out. This was my first time using liquid yeast with a built in starter so that's what I'm blaming haha.

Use a blowoff tube.

Wyeast doesn't really have a "starter" in it, it's really just some nutrients to determine whether it's live yeast.

But a blowoff tube will dump your extra mess into a bucket, pot, or jar.

Thanks! Luckily it looks like it's chilled out now but that's on the shopping list for the next batch.

If you use a 2 piece airlock, you can use a tube that attaches to the inside of the airlock. So a one dollar investment. But it's hard to remove from airlock in my experience.

Tapped a keg of this this weekend that I brewed back in January. Tried it side by side with a bomber of Dead Guy and it is very close. Thanks for the great recipe Yooper.

About to brew my 3rd batch of a version of this beer over the past 12 months. Since I've only brewed about 20 times total, it's quickly becoming my house ale :)

I do AG and use the exact grain bill provided in the first post. Can't find Pacman here, so use 1272 instead. Used all Perle in my first batch and it was amazing. Used Perle and Amarillo the 2nd time, and it was similarly amazing :D

I've now got Perle and Saaz in my inventory, so I'll probably use the exact recipe this time around (except for the 1272 for PacMan subsitution). Thanks for the recipe!

My LHBS does not carry Pacman, so I'm curious if there is a consensus recommendation as to an alternate yeast for this beer (I know, it is highly unlikely there is a "consensus" anything when it comes to such topics.) I am brewing Sunday -- probably going to play it safe with 1056 or S-05 unless Yooper or someone else has a different recommendation. WY 1272 perhaps?

I just finished brewing that beer. AG version.
I think I screwed up with grain selection a little. I ended up with a doppelbock color and a 1.069 OG
I used 1lbs of Caramunich III. I think I should have use type I instead for a lighter color.
I rehydrate some safale s05 in 1L DME and just pitch it at 64F, I plan on fermenting it at that temperature.
It is pretty Hoppy, My GF face was worth $1000 when she tasted the sample, just before adding the yeast. :D
Hopefully the Alcohol with smooth down the hopiness, or Ill have a nice IPA. IBU must be over 50 my perle was stronger than the recipe
Ended up with a mash Ph of 5.6 and a chloride/sulfate ratio of 2.04 for enhance maltiness.

I never tasted the dead man ale so I will have noting to refer to :drunk:

BBD3FCCF-75AA-4324-964C-6AB631DDB711-6189-00000A2C59CEC45B_zpsedaa0699.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's my 3rd AG and first amber ale. The next 30 days will feel like a lifetime.

I am a big fan of Dead Guy and Arrogant Bastard. I've got both kegged/on-tap right now.

Mixing the two is amazing, the maltiness of DG with the Chinook bite in AB.

This left me to consider brewing a Dead Bastard, the malt bill for DG with the hop schedule of AB.

I am a big fan of Dead Guy and Arrogant Bastard. I've got both kegged/on-tap right now.

This left me to consider brewing a Dead Bastard, the malt bill for DG with the hop schedule of AB.

That sounds really good to me!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yes, this sounds like a great idea! Truly a roguish notion!

Well I wanted to try this recipe , but while I was grinding my grains I kind of got carried away and before I knew it I milled the whole pound of crystal in with the others instead of just half a pound . I'm brewing the extract recipe, any suggestions on trying to balance it out?

Back