Should I be worried when I get home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
Ok I brewed a Midwest honey Weizen yesterday. This morning I check my air lock and it had beer in it. Will I have mess to clean up when I get home and wife that will kill me to.

It's certainly possible. Is your wife at home? She could keep an eye on it and rig a blowoff tube.

Ok I brewed a Midwest honey Weizen yesterday. This morning I check my air lock and it had beer in it. Will I have mess to clean up when I get home and wife that will kill me to.

IMO, most certainly the latter.
When ever i see a constant stream of co2 (ie bobber stays lifted with continual co2 release) i tend to rig a blowoff tube. Ive had 1 or 2 that ended up clogging the airlock and blowing the lid right off the bucket.
Honey is 100% fermentable and tends to get the yeasties going also.

How do I make a blow of tube for a bucket? No my wife isn't home. I'm screwed when I get home or a dead man.

If you have some 1/2" tubing it will fit on the portion of air lock that the bobber sits on. Take off the lid and pull out the bobber. Put the other end of the tube in a bucket/glass/container with sanitizer or even water...something that keeps stuff out.

If you don't have a length of 1/2" (ID) tubing, but do have 1/4" tubing you can pull the airlock out of the grommet and shove the tubing in it. Don't push it too far into the lid. And put the other end into a container.

Just my 1/2 tubing from my local plumbing supply house. I hope I'm not to late by the time I get home. If it did explode is my brew ruined?

Doubtful. Beer is resilient. As long as nasty bugs don't get in there...

I just brewed a batch yesterday and poured my beer into my primary or approximately half the yeast cake, within an hour or two I had an airlock full of foam. What I did was took out my airlock and used the tube that came with my auto siphon as a blowoff tube and stuck the other end in a container of one step. Worked great.

I just brewed a batch yesterday and poured my beer into my primary or approximately half the yeast cake, within an hour or two I had an airlock full of foam. What I did was took out my airlock and used the tube that came with my auto siphon as a blowoff tube and stuck the other end in a container of one step. Worked great.

I wouldn't use one step. Just get some cheap vodka.

Just my 1/2 tubing from my local plumbing supply house. I hope I'm not to late by the time I get home. If it did explode is my brew ruined?

That'll work, and stick the other end in a milk jug, water bottle, etc @ about 1/2 full of water...

I didn't have a mess thank god. Do you use a blow tube when secondary?

Back