Moving Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I will be moving this coming monday and have a question. I planned to bottle this saturday and may still do so. Would it be better to transport the entire batch in the fermenter and then bottle when i arrive and it was settled? or should i bottle on saturday and move the bottles monday or tuesday when possible?

Hard to say. I think I would bottle and move them in cases rather then a 5 gallon fermentor. I just moved last month April 1st. I didn't have any fermenters or carboys full by plan, so didn't have to worry about it. In terms of space, its easier to stack two boxes of bottles on a good base rather than having you awkward fermentor splashing around.

That being said, I opened the back of the truck, the load had shifted and a 1L e-z-cap bottle rocketed out. I caught it, then another shot out. I grabbed it between my knees, and tried to get the case level again. Another bottle fell out, and smashed on the truck gate, spilling all over my knees. I reached down like a dolt and cut myself. So it was pitch black, my head was stopping the door from sliding down, beer in my left hand, blood in the other, beers between my legs, and wet pants. Typical day.

Get boxes with a lid...and pack your vehicle properly, and you will be fine. Not sure having your trub mixing up with the beer would be great so I vote bottles.

In general, you don't want to add oxygen post fermentation. In addition, the move will mix up the trub and hops requiring a couple weeks to settle before bottling.

It is probably safer to bottle before the move unless you think the bottles will get broken during the moving process.

+1 ^

You don't want to mix up all the stuff you let settle out during fermentation. I would definitely bottle and then move.

baby beer.jpg

I would definitely bottle and then move. Once in the bottles, the beer can be moved without much worry. Moving a full fermenter is fraught with potential issues (oxidation, infection, spillage/leakage).

Latest posts

Back