Ummmm What is This?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy5582

Reaction score
This is my fifth extract with steeping grains batch (a repeat recipe) and this one has an odd film on the sides of the carboy. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

image-2696412725.jpg

Ok. Any ideas as to what would create so much trub? I've made this recipe before and didn't experience this. Also, do I need to wait for that to fall to the bottom before bottling/legging?

Ok. Any ideas as to what would create so much trub? I've made this recipe before and didn't experience this. Also, do I need to wait for that to fall to the bottom before bottling/legging?

Its like the yeast had some static electricity or something, and stuck to the side! That's happened to me in a few brews, but not to that extent. It looks weird, but since the yeast is stuck to the side it's fine there. Just don't disturb it when you rack to the bottling bucket or keg, and it should stay there.

That's weird. I like the static electricity explanation! Is it possible you had some gunk or leftover cleaning particles or something like that already stuck to the side of your carboy for the yeast to cling to?

What yeast is it?

That's weird. I like the static electricity explanation! Is it possible you had some gunk or leftover cleaning particles or something like that already stuck to the side of your carboy for the yeast to cling to?

What yeast is it?

+1 I'm betting on a residue on bottle that the yeast is sticking to. If you have enough time left in fermentation/conditioning time then maybe swirl the bottle around to wash the yeast back in solution and It might settle to bottom.

Back