dry hopping and naturally carbonating a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
Can i do both? Also, can i leave the hops in the whole time? I have already dry hopped but want to maintain/ accentuate the hop aroma. Three gallons of ipa. 3 gal keg. I can't get enough hops!

Not a troll. Lol just new to this whole thing. Not alot of info about three gallon kegs and naturally carbing due to no co2 tank or regulator yet. Just the cartridges. I want to get it right.

Carbing in the keg won't deplete the hops because you are not releasing the gas. If you were to vent your keg and bubble co2 through it you would deplete a lot of hop charicter although I can't think of why you would do that.

Otherwise my suggestion for more hop aroma is to hook up a randal to your draft line with the hops of your choosing.

Carbing in the keg won't deplete the hops because you are not releasing the gas. If you were to vent your keg and bubble co2 through it you would deplete a lot of hop charicter although I can't think of why you would do that.

Otherwise my suggestion for more hop aroma is to hook up a randal to your draft line with the hops of your choosing.

Randal? Is that like s hop back?

Looked into a randall but its a bit pricy. Id rather spend the $ on a regulator. The hops i have. There is just not much info on the bare bones system i have. Its seems all who keg spring for the co2 right away. Still looking for help. The beer is ready and i still feel unsure about the process.

It should work out OK. The first thing that comes to my mind is clogging. Hops are capablele of clogging up the dip tube inside the keg. If they are pellets, this may not be as much of a problem, although I have never tried this. It is still possible that you can clog it but they also could get sucked right through, leaving clear-flowing brew.

Naturally carb'ing is a godsend, too. I love priming with wort! Also, in doing this processs I add hops into the kettle. They flow through nicely after dropping out of suspension. Cold crashing just before consumption helps this process also. You should be fine.

Cheers,

It should work out OK. The first thing that comes to my mind is clogging. Hops are capablele of clogging up the dip tube inside the keg. If they are pellets, this may not be as much of a problem, although I have never tried this. It is still possible that you can clog it but they also could get sucked right through, leaving clear-flowing brew.

Naturally carb'ing is a godsend, too. I love priming with wort! Also, in doing this processs I add hops into the kettle. They flow through nicely after dropping out of suspension. Cold crashing just before consumption helps this process also. You should be fine.

Cheers,

Thanks. I was going to put them in a hop sack to avoid the clogging. Also was thinking dme for the prime. Should i pull the pressure pin before tapping to release pressure? Or just connect the cobra and pull a few yeasty pints then attach the co2 cartridge etc?

I say see what she (the keg) gives you. I'll pull the pin for less than a second just to be sure there is pressure building up throughout the days of fermenting. This is due to too many experiences with flat beer that I thought was carb'ed. More like reassuring myself that she's carb'ed. The loud "PSHH" and the force of air is a great feeling, too.

I wouldn't release pressure. This stuff's gonna help dispense your brew. Also, CO2 cartridge seems like a tight idea. Excuse my language. You may not even need it though!

What's this hop sack thing? I was thinking it may be better to just purposefully suck those (if pelletized) hops right out of your keg when tapping. This is only if you know the hop sack won't clog. Man now I'm rambling. Is it like a muslin bag?

I say see what she (the keg) gives you. I'll pull the pin for less than a second just to be sure there is pressure building up throughout the days of fermenting. This is due to too many experiences with flat beer that I thought was carb'ed. More like reassuring myself that she's carb'ed. The loud "PSHH" and the force of air is a great feeling, too.

I wouldn't release pressure. This stuff's gonna help dispense your brew. Also, CO2 cartridge seems like a tight idea. Excuse my language. You may not even need it though!

What's this hop sack thing? I was thinking it may be better to just purposefully suck those (if pelletized) hops right out of your keg when tapping. This is only if you know the hop sack won't clog. Man now I'm rambling. Is it like a muslin bag?

Yeah the hops go into a bag made from cheese cloth that i would boil and sanitize (potentially). The co2 cartridge is a tailgate gun style. It will be necessary to push the beer out. How do you do it with out co2?

Sounds good. Sometimes I've gotten a beer carbonated well and it is able to dispense itself after chilling. Anyways, I've seen those injectors and they seem cool!

Back