Sediment and Filterin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbrandon724

Reaction score
While I am sitting here enjoying the first of a freshly brewed batch of Maibock, I am looking at the bottle and the sediment that is left at the bottom 1/4" or so of the bottle. Is there a good way to filter beer to eliminate the sediment?

I would think that it would be done just before priming and bottling, but if one were to filter at that point, is the yeast needed to carbonate being removed also?

I have a wonderful filter that I have successfully used in my wine making endeavors and have often thought of using that, but have never had the guts to potentially wreck a batch of beer...

filtering without a kegging set up is a waste of time IMO.

Im not gonna agree that its a waste of time wihtout the keg setup, its just much easier with the filtering system that i know of to use it with two pressurized corney kegs.

Here's a video ive seen a few times posted here if you DO have a kegging setup.

But there was a thread posted here a few days ago about things u put on the bottles to help with it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/good-bye-sediment-bottles-407328/

Check it out, if ur interested. Its a bit expensive but i think they are reusable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly try one of those beer guns? True that you would need a keg though. The process of bottle conditioning has no way to eliminate yeast growth. The beer would, therefore, need to be carb'ed before put in the bottle.

Hey man, just drink from a glass or mug! Hold off on that stuff on the bottom.

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back