Bottling wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristofer

Reaction score
How do you prevent from getting any sediment in the bottom of the wine bottle when bottling? Thanks for all help?

How do you prevent from getting any sediment in the bottom of the wine bottle when bottling? Thanks for all help?

It's easy! The key is to bottle only clear wine, and wine that has no lees at all in the bottom after at least 60 days in the carboy.

If a wine is clear, with no lees in the fermenter after bulk aging, it will not drop any sediment at all in the bottle.

What if I have bottled and there is a very thin layer of sediment in the bottom. Also is lees referring to sediment? Like I said I'm very new to this, but really enjoy doing it.

I must be impatient or shake the carboy to much before bottling because I have seen lees in my bottles. I got a vinbrite filter I use when transferring to the bottling bucket. It won't do anything for haze, but the lees are no more. Crystal clear!

I must be impatient or shake the carboy to much before bottling because I have seen lees in my bottles. I got a vinbrite filter I use when transferring to the bottling bucket. It won't do anything for haze, but the lees are no more. Crystal clear!

Often you get a batch that looks like it's crystal clear...but then 30 days later you have sediment on the bottom...the key is patience.

How do you transfer from your bulk into your bottles? I am using a siphon hose with a one way bulb in the middle of the hose that is similar to a fuel hose on an outboard boat motor. Thanks for all responses.

How do you transfer from your bulk into your bottles? I am using a siphon hose with a one way bulb in the middle of the hose that is similar to a fuel hose on an outboard boat motor. Thanks for all responses.

Autosyphon with bottle filler wand.

I rack my wine to a bottling bucket (when I add the sulfite) and then bottle with a length of tubing on the bottling wand, with the bottles lined up on the dishwasher door. It's fast and easy with no drips.

...with the bottles lined up on the dishwasher door. It's fast and easy with no drips.

Dang I've bottled so many bottles of beer and wine right in front of the dishwasher door. Why didn't I think of that?!? Thanks!

Dang I've bottled so many bottles of beer and wine right in front of the dishwasher door. Why didn't I think of that?!? Thanks!

I did, too! For years. And then one day, I thought "hmmmm".

I don't leave too many wine bottles filled on the door, as I'm worried about weight (and beer bottles aren't nearly as big), so I fill them and lift a few of them up off of the door and up onto the counter.

It's really easiest if you have a helper. If Bob can help, I fill them on the door, and then he lifts them up onto the counter and then corks them. Then he replaces the bottles with empty ones from the bottling tree. Sometimes I just sit on the floor and fill, if he's helping and I"m doing a 6 gallon batch. It's pretty slick!

Good idea and if there's a mess well its on the inside of the dishwasher have to do this way from now on thanks

Anyone got any good web sites that you know where to get good wine bottle labels or web sites that will let you build your own labels and then print them. I don't want these silly labels, really looking for a good label that doesn't just represent grapes on the label. I do different wines...blackberry, blueberry, strawberry, pear, raspberry, berry blends...ect. So a label with grapes on it wouldn't go with say strawberry. Thanks for all input.

Back