If you purchase beer cold should you keep it cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Han_Solo

Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying the 2013 Bigfoot but it is in the refrigerated section. If my intention is to save the bottles for a few years, can I keep them in the basement or will letting them fall back to room temp diminish the quality of the beer?

You can bring them to room temperature with no issues. It would be the same as cold crashing a batch and then letting it warm back up in bottles.

Put them in the basement. Cellering is ideal which is generally cooler than basements but the bigger the beer usually the higher the cool temps is ok. Keep em in the basement. Also,sometimes I like ageing them sometime I like them just released also. I have a bigfoot 2012 refrigerated one and one kept in basement temps both to compare a new 2013 too.
Most Ipa's or hop forward beers you should generally keep cold to retain the retain their hop attributes.

Thanks, y'all.

How long would be too long to age/cellar this beer? Should I worry too much about losing some of the hop characteristics?

Thanks, y'all.

How long would be too long to age/cellar this beer? Should I worry too much about losing some of the hop characteristics?

Uhh... Im pretty shure people age these for many years-go as long as you can. Barley wines are meant to age. Although alot of big beers Ive seen do have some limits of how long they want you to drink it by. I wouldnt be afraid to age a bigfoot till the day I die though. Hopefully that is a long ways away.:p

With age yes, you will lose hop character with any beer.

Back