This is a first for me, hardly any krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurieGator

Reaction score
I love this place!

I brewed a beer over the weekend, a Nut Brown Ale with an OG of 1.045, all grain, English yeast WLP002 with a 2 liter starter (and a bit of yeast nutrient in the starter because I love my yeasties.)

I only saw the slightest bit of krausen. The Dubbel fermenting in the fridge is on day 6 with its blow-off tube. Both are fermenting at 68f.

This was strange for my experience in brewing, so I did a gravity reading before I panicked. My day 3 gravity is 1.013.

Srsly? With no krausen to speak of? Lesson learned... Air locks may lie (mine bubbled away like crazy) and you may have hardly any krausen but the gravity always tells the truth.

Yippee! I don't need to pitch additional yeast, just gonna keep it fermenting in primary for another 18 or so days. :ban:

Glad you realize nothing is wrong. My FBS clone had a very weird krausen, but it never got very big. And my porter barely had any either. Not sure why, but happens sometimes.

Yeah, I've had it happen once or twice where there was hardly any krausen to speak of, although I can't remember at this point which styles they were.

On the other hand, I do remember every time I've made a wheat beer, they've always taken off quickly and had a very thick krausen, including one that blew out my airlock. That was the last time I brewed without a blow-off hose. :eek:

... On the other hand, I do remember every time I've made a wheat beer, they've always taken off quickly and had a very thick krausen, including one that blew out my airlock. That was the last time I brewed without a blow-off hose. :eek:

I remember a Dunkel-Weiss that had a krausen like Coco-crispies. I mean, it looked just like Coco-crispies and made me want to eat it :)

Back