Anyone here around Beaverton, OR? Mash pH question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_loco

Reaction score
I'm in Beaverton OR and our water is generally great. My mash pH though seems to always be a tad high, like 5.7 ish. Anyone around me that has solution so I don't have to do as much trial and error? Any thoughts from anyone else?

Well if you are trying to brew a pale beer with little crystal malt content, the resulting mash pH is not that surprising. Adding an acid is often required in that case. There are multiple ways of adding acidity...adding more calcium, performing an acid rest, adding acid malt, or adding a refined acid such as lactic or phosphoric. Visit the Water Knowledge page of the Bru'n Water site to help figure out what is going on and how to attack it.

I've used Bru'n water but have not had the success with it that I'd like, certainly because water chemistry is a very deep topic and a little knowledge is more dangerous than it is helpful.

I'm considering doing a mini mash, say 5% of the recipe, the night before and taking pH readings. Then I could calculate addition of acid malt or lactic acid to the full grain bill?

Latest posts

Back