Not seeing evidence anything is happening..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CooperBrew

Reaction score
First off, forgive me if this is a noob question but it's my first batch :)

About 3 weeks ago I brewed my first batch of Brewers Best American Amber Ale. It spent a week in the 6.5 gal primary bucket where it bubbled along nicely for a few days. After the bubbling stopped I transferred it to my 5 gal carboy. I was careful to sanitize everything well and carefully used my auto siphon to transfer. I put the airlock on the top and put it in my basement closet where it's been for 2 weeks now. I checked on it yesterday evening and noticed that it looks exactly the same as the day I put it in the carboy. I thought I should be seeing something on the surface or around the edges to show that its been continuing its fermentation? :confused:
The only think I can think is that maybe it's too cool. The temperature is in the low 60's. Should I move it to a little warmer area to see if something happens? I have not taken any hydrometer reading yet, should I do that as well?
Being an excited inexperienced brewer I forgot to take the OG reading before I pitched my yeast so I don't have that reading. :eek:

Thanks for reading

U may see CO2 patches at the top. Revvy had a post about it on a differnt thread a few weeks ago, thats just excess CO2 working its way out. But otherwise no, once u put to secondary, unless u rack on top of fruit or add Amylase enzyme, no you would see much if any action in secondary, so ur good.

Main reason for racking to secondary is to dry hop, add flavoring from fruit purees, clarify or let the yeast work on some of the byproducts. There may be more but the point is, ur never gonna see as much action in secondary as in primary.

+1 but 60 is pretty low. It's probably done, but you could at this point move it to a warmer dark place, say in mis 60s to 68 ish for a week. I generally ferment for 2 weeks, but then to a keg where there's no worry of bottle bombs.

sorry i didn't see the one line up there. I'd def take a hydrometer sample. as long as its close to ur expected FG u should be done. I don't normally transfer to secondary until the FG is stable for three days

Everything sounds normal. Spending a couple of weeks at 60F should not be a problem even if it hadn't completely fermented when you racked. Check the gravity and, assuming it is good, bottle it up!

Thanks for all your replies.

I will take a reading tonight and then again in a few days to make sure everything is "done". Hopefully I'll be able to bottle this weekend.

I took a reading tonite, 1.012, which is right at the FG the instructions say it should be at. It is a very nice, clear amber color. It tastes a little weak though. I'll bottle it this weekend and see what it's like in a few weeks.

I took a reading tonite, 1.012, which is right at the FG the instructions say it should be at. It is a very nice, clear amber color. It tastes a little weak though. I'll bottle it this weekend and see what it's like in a few weeks.

It's tough to judge a beer when it is warm, flat, and young...your plan to re-evaluate in a few weeks is a good one. :mug:

Next time let it ride in primary for 2 - 3 weeks to give the yeast full opportunity to clean up their by-products.

I too am a firm believer in the rule of threes. Three weeks in primary, three in secondary and three in the bottle. If I am not planning to secondary I bump the primary to at least 4. Three weeks in the bottle is good for carbing and will give you a pretty fair idea of how your brew is going to age out and develop. Most brews mellow and get more complex with time and the bitter tongue bite from green beer mellows a bunch. Good luck and just keep being patient. Once you fill your pipeline a bit you wont be tempted to hurry a batch to bottle usually.

Wheelchair Bob

Yeah, it was my few ever batch of beer so I was a bit unsure of what I was supposed to be seeing. I have a few other batches in various states going now so I'm good to go from here on out.
Next Friday (May 17th) will be 3 weeks in the bottle for the initial batch of Amber Ale, I'll crack one open then to see how it's going.

Thanks to all for the responses.

First off, forgive me if this is a noob question but it's my first batch :)

About 3 weeks ago I brewed my first batch of Brewers Best American Amber Ale. It spent a week in the 6.5 gal primary bucket where it bubbled along nicely for a few days.

Wen I did use Secondaries (I do not any more) about all I would see is see a small amount of yeast collecting on the bottom...

Once the food (sugar) is gone it will not produce CO2 at the rate you saw the first week...

These days I leave my around 5.0% beers in the primary for four weeks and transfer directly to a keg...

My sub 5.0% beers maybe two weeks and then in the Keg.

Since I brew 11 gallon batches that means they usually sit in the keg for a while anyway (I usually have a bunch waiting to go on tap) and get additional aging.

I would think you are fine... look on the bottom and see if the yeast is settling out... it migh give you the visual notification you are looking for.

Back