Any one getting off-flavors(caramel) with stainless hop siders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t_met

Reaction score
I did a search, so I think it's not the hop spider. But just asking if anyone else has had off-flavors with a stainless hop spider. I was trying to see if anyone else had this.

I recently brewed an IPA that had a caramely/toffee taste. It's not diacetyl, I'm fairly certain of that. I wasn't sure if it was recipe or due to the hop spider partially trapping the wort at the bottom of the kettle. I have my stainless hop spider just sitting on the bottom of the kettle. The bottom of the spider has a 1/2" lip. So it can "trap" wort at the bottom. In reality water can flow through the bottom, but its flow is slowed due to the mesh. I should point that there was no burnt/scalding marks on the bottom of the kettle.

However, the trapped wort at the bottom is just one of two ideas. The 2nd idea is due to recipe. I was aiming for a Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA which has about 6% Munich. I've done this recipe several times, none ever had this off malt taste. However, I recently got my own grain mill. This boosted my efficient quite a bit. I overshot my SG (goal:1.066 actual 1.073). This boost of sugars fermented out, but thinking I had more Munich/CaraPils/Crystal malt characters left in the flavor. It fermented out to 1.011.

Back