First batch bottled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
Just finished my first batch of beer and bottled it. I'm excited. 3 weeks to carb and yum yum. I can't wait. Upping from 3 gallons to 6 for the next run. Getting a 5 gallon kettle this week.

image-869016208.jpg

image-3340675629.jpg

Congratulations. The first batch is usually the most satisfying. Be sure to keep brewing so the pipeline (beer ready to drink, carbing beer, primary fermentation) is full. It sucks to run out of drinkable beer before the next batch is ready.

Before you buy a 5 gallon kettle, consider if you have room for a larger kettle and can boil more than 4 gallons of water. There is no point to buying a 5 gallon kettle now and next year needing a larger kettle and paying for that too when there may not be much difference in price.

Before you buy a 5 gallon kettle, consider if you have room for a larger kettle and can boil more than 4 gallons of water. There is no point to buying a 5 gallon kettle now and next year needing a larger kettle and paying for that too when there may not be much difference in price.

Yes, get a 10 gallon, you will want to go to all grain soon, invest the extra now, trust us.

Congrats!! I bought an 8 gal SS kettle on eBay and it wasn't expensive at all...I brewed by 1st 5 gal batch and it was awesome

5 gallon pots are cheap. I'd rather have 2 5gallon than a ten gallon, IF I'm doing it on a stove.
bigger than that and the stove option is gone.

I'm using the same SS 5 gallon stock pot I started with. I've done everything from kit-n-kilo to PB/PM BIAB in that same kettle. 3.5 gallon boils Topped off to 5 or 6 gallons depending on the recipe. Usually 5G. biab partial boil,partial mash is easy. I boil off 1/2 gallon,so I top off to 5 gallon (or 6) in the fermenter. My OG's have been 1.043 to 1.060 so far,depending on the recipe. You can't boil much more than that on a stove. Mine's electric with aftermarket burners that heat up faster.

Thanks everyone. I trusted my LHBS on the formula based on what I told him my preferences in beer are and I think he set me up good. Time to look for my second batch recipe. Empty Carboys look so... empty.

Try one after a week and see how it is. I opened one last night that I bottled a week ago and dang was it was good! So good that I can't resist having another tonight. :mug:

Congrats on your first batch.

Back