Can type of yeast affect alcohol percentage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughRichardson

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with liquid maltose in conjunction with Coopers kits.

In the first test case I used a Coopers English Bitter kit with 26 litres water plus 1.8 Kg Maltose and Safale S-04 yeast to get a FG of 1.014 and an estimated 4% alcohol which is just about right. I normally brew these English Bitter kits with a couple of extra litres of water as that helps to moderate the rather excessive taste of the end product.

In the second case I used a Coopers Real Ale Kit with 23 litres water plus 2.2 Kg of Maltose and the Coopers supplied yeast. Based on the lower water volume and larger amount of fermentable sugar (maltose) I was expecting that to work out stronger, but FG remained at 1.03 for almost a week and was clearly not going any lower. Alcohol probably around 3.3%, although I was shooting for 4.5% or even 5%

Temperatures in both cases were maintained fairly evenly at 21 to 22 degrees C.

My question therefore is could the Coopers yeast have been solely responsible for the lower alcohol in the second case? Would a second sachet of yeast have made a difference (added at what stage?) or should I use a yeast enhancer of some kind – or stick to the Safale yeast?
The Real Ale has not yet conditioned enough to taste, but the English Bitter brewed with the maltose tastes very much better than that particular product usually does, so I am happy with the basic ingredients - but need to juggle the quantities and yeasts until I have something repeatable.

Back