What did my LHBS give me??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster_mpa

Reaction score
Okay, so my LHBS gave me the following kit which he designed himself. This is the trial run for one beer for my upcoming wedding. I asked for a nice session beer that wasn't overly hoppy, but could satisfy me and the few hop heads in attendance while still appealing to other guests.

He's marketing it as a Pale Ale and said the IBU's are around 30. I put in the info and it's way higher (which is fine). But I don't think the profile really fits anything I've ever had. Any thoughts on what this beer could be? Is it a Euro IPA with Pacific NW aromas? Who knows..

What really throws me off is the hop selection and usage, you'll understand..

3.3# Golden Light LME
2# Golden Light DME
8 oz. Crystal 60
14 oz. Brewers Crystal

2 oz. East Kent Golding @ 60
2 oz. German Spaltz @ 30
1 oz. Cascade @ 5

Yeast: Nottingham Ale

It looks a lot like the grain bill for an English bitter. I agree that the hops are a bit odd--it is a little strange to see EKG as a bittering hop, since it's so low in AA and has a nice aroma, but many English beers are all-Goldings. And there are English brewers that use Cascade or other American hops for aroma. Compare to this clone of Hobgoblin, for example, for which the Cascades were verified by the actual brewery: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-wychwood-hobgoblin-273932/

It's not exactly like a bitter, for a few reasons--it has no sugar or corn, uses a higher percentage of crystal, and uses a fairly neutral ale yeast instead of a more fruity English strain. Plus I don't know what to make of those Spaltz.

But hey, it's probably worth a shot. If he says it's good, maybe it is! Have you tried any of his other stuff?

It's like he's trying to bitter it like a really light beer, like a mild or even a hoppy lager or something.. and then since you said I want hoppy but not wild, he's got that late addition of Cascade.

Grain bill is pretty simple though.

Brew it up and see what happens.

Back