AHB Imperial Pale Ale No.60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John8251

Reaction score
So, I did my first partial mash with Annapolis HB's No.60 Imperial Pale Ale recipe. Everything seemed to go great as far as the partial mash went except for a little difficulty with the sparging that took a little last minute ingenuity. Pitched the wyeast 1272 and off they went. Everything was going well til I woke up one morning and checked on it and the temp strip on the bucket was maxed out over 80 degrees. I threw some icepacks around it and put a fan on it and got it back down in the low 70's and finished out the primary. Racked to secondary to dry hop and tested the SG. I got 1.020 from a 1.061 OG. This is the highest I've had yet after the last three extract brews I did. Did i fry my yeast before they had a chance to finish their job? or is 1.020 (confirmed multiple times over multiple days) not too bad at all? Since its one of their secret recipes, it didnt come with the recipe or an expected SGs, just with an estimated 6% ABV. I've read somewhere that somebody said you can use amylase extract to bring your FG down a few points. Or should i just leave it alone and let the beer be beer and just note my mistakes and fix em next time(will be fermenting next batch in a swamp cooler)? Also, the kit came with whole hop leaves for the final addition and i just left them in the primary because the instructions didnt really specify if I should leave em or not, would this have had any effect on the fermentation stopping at 1.020? Sorry if this kind of question has been asked before, I've spent quite a good amount of time looking through the threads but haven't been able to figure it out. Just looking for suggestions on what to do if i should even do anything.

Back