Stove top boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trizzle

Reaction score
I Do a 5 gal all grain, and boil it on the stovetop. (glasstop) Does this method work as well as doing it over the flame broiler? Seems to work for me! And any boil over is easy to clean on the glass top! And I find temp control a bit easier. But am I missing anything? Is there any reproductions to stovetop? Hmmmmm

If it works for you, great. I do stovetop boils, but I've got gas a pretty big burner. Many people find their stove either takes forever to boil 7 gallons or never even gets it boiling.

I do stove too but I have a coil. I used to have a glass top and it had a temp control to keep from getting too hot and breaking the glass. Took 4 EVER to boil water for pasta. Can't imagine doing beer. I don't do propane anything (charcoal) but if I still had a glass top I would get a propane burner for sure

I used to full boils on the stove by getting a pot that covered two burners at the same time.

I moved my brewing outside two years ago.

My stove had an electrical fire right before Christmas last year. I can't say if heat stress on the wire insulation from long beer boils contributed to it or not.

Bottom line: there's no technical problem doing it in your kitchen. But you don't have to mop the driveway if you have a spill or boilover outside.

You can bring 6 - 8 gallons of wort to a boil pretty quick with a turkey fryer. The second best part is you now also have a turkey fryer.

Hehehe, I bought a turkey fryer and went back to the stovetop boiling. It seems that when I'm in the mood for brewing it's below zero and the wind is blowing. The first time I went to brew outside the temperature of the wort went down with the propane burner going full blast so I moved the pot of wort back to the stovetop to complete the boil.

I've done many dozens of batches on the stovetop, and have zero desire to move outdoors with a turkey burner. I just use two 5-gal pots, and it works fine. Of course, gas helps. You can take your brewing very seriously without buying or building expensive, complicated gear. The gear generally doesn't improve the beer, but rather the brewing experience. If you don't need it, then don't bother!

It is true, the wind does suck. That happened with my first turkey fry. I had to cook it it longer because I couldn't bring it above 325F. I've never had a problem with boiling water though.

I also generally have enough of a stockpile of beer that I don't brew December - February. This year, I spent those months making wine, mead, and cider.

Back