Might of poured my wort too fast...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
So I was in a hurry after finishing the boil. After cooling down in an ice tub(took close to 45 mins :/) I poured the wort in pretty fast. A large layer of foam appeared at the top. I pitched the yeast and sloshed it around but I still saw a thick layer of foam with some yeast sitting on top. Did I screw the pooch on this one? I know the ice bath is sketchy but I did it with my last batch, and as a poor college kid, I cant really afford a wort chiller. Any thoughts? Also... The temp was 83* F when I pitched.. A little high but it is US-Safale 05, a very durable yeast

The foam is a good indication that you aerated the wort, which is good for starting your fermentation. An ice bath is fine for cooling the wort - that's how I started (before my neighbor got an immersion chiller I could borrow :D ) but a little more patience to get it down another 10 degrees would have been better. You probably be fine with fermenting, but you might get some off flavors if you don't get the temp back into the mid-range for the yeast.

Okay, that makes me feel a little more confident. I had a plan to use one of those hand held strainers while using an auto siphon to put the wort into the ferementer, but I simply did not have time. Also, alot of grain was coming through when putting it into my pot so Ill have to get a better mash tun filter. Thank you for the input :) First all grain batch - check.

Yeah, don't worry about that at all. It will turn out fine.

Filtering the wort into the fermenter isn't necessary. The trub and hop materials will settle to the bottom of the fermenter.

What are you using in your mash tun? The grain bed is your filter.

Okay, that makes me feel a little more confident. I had a plan to use one of those hand held strainers while using an auto siphon to put the wort into the ferementer, but I simply did not have time. Also, alot of grain was coming through when putting it into my pot so Ill have to get a better mash tun filter. Thank you for the input :) First all grain batch - check.

An extra set of hands comes in handy for playing those tricks. :D

The best is to catch and pour your first gallon of wort (or less, until it gets hazy clear) without splashing back on top of the grain bed to filter out grain and small suspended particles. Don't drain your mash tun too fast or you'll suck more of the dust through.

As mentioned, the foam is a good indicator of aeration. (Hint: If you rehydrate your US-05 dry yeast (like you should), the slurry will pour right through it.)

The 83*F pitch temp will likely give you some off-flavors. Extra weeks bottle conditioning may be in order. A much better pitch temp for that yeast is around 63*F and start fermenting around 65*F.

It depends on how quickly you got it down after pitching, if it was under 70° before fermentation began, you are absolutely fine. Ideally you want to be around 65° at the start, and keep it under 68° with American strains

Back