Large Clumps of Floating Yeast Post Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty_Deschaine

Reaction score
So I brewed a Lemongrass Rye this past weekend and the process was on par with my past brews. Primary fermentation started up quick and tapered off after about 3 days, but as the yeast settled back down to the bottom a large amount of it remains suspended floating on the top. See the below photos...

Has anyone experienced this? I have never had a beer do this. I tried to shake the carboy a bit to get some to drop down, and it helped a small amount but there are still large clumps floating.

Yeast used was Wyeast #1056.

So I brewed a Lemongrass Rye this past weekend and the process was on par with my past brews. Primary fermentation started up quick and tapered off after about 3 days, but as the yeast settled back down to the bottom a large amount of it remains suspended floating on the top. See the below photos...

Has anyone experienced this? I have never had a beer do this. I tried to shake the carboy a bit to get some to drop down, and it helped a small amount but there are still large clumps floating.

Yeast used was Wyeast #1056.

Looks like normal yeast rafts to me, should clear up in a week or so.

Back