Help with IIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco29wps

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I want to do an Imperial IPA and I have a bunch of pellet hops to use. I have plenty of [email protected]%, Zeus@15% and cascade@6%. Can anyone think of a recipe that would work out only using these hops? Looking for a 10gal batch.

Looking forward to anything you got that will help!

Thanks,

Taco :mug:

Depends on what you like. I would try 90% Pale Malt, 5% of a ~40 L British crystal malt(Simpsons 30-37 is awesome), and 5% sugar. Target ~1.075 OG, Mash temp of 150F.

Boil 60 min.
Target ~50-60 IBU 60 minute addition of Summit/Zeus
30 minute 1-2 oz each cascade and summit
10 minute or whirlpool 3 oz cascade, 2 oz summit, 1 oz zeus
Dry hop 6 oz for 5 days at ferment temp with whichever you like.

You have to watch out for Summit sometimes. It can be very orange/tangerine, and sometimes it is really garlicky. Zeus can be really garlicky too. You don't want too much garlicky hop overpowering your beer. If the summit you have is the garlic one, then layer in more cascade to build the citrus base. If it is more tangerine, then crush the beer with summits. The garlicky flavor in the background can be nice, but you don't want it to be out front. If you have access to an ounce or two of Citra, that really rounds out the citrus flavor, esp. when used as a dryhop.

Get the beer dry, dry, dry. You want to be 1.012 or under.

Drink.

Thanks for the input! I'll give it a go and possibly post a new recipe with good results. Wish me luck!

Taco

Back