What Are You Paying For Bulk Grain Where You Live?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiseEyes

Reaction score
I went to buy a 50# of 2-row and it was $57 plus tax... Last fall I bought it for 44 plus tax. Is this part of the great drought of 2012 or what?

You're paying tax on your grain in Ohio? Pretty sure they're ripping you off - it's considered food and is tax free. Leener's in Northfield only charges tax on equipment, not grains or hops.

They sell Briess 2-row for $50/sack, I believe.

Ya you're right no sales tax. 50 a sack wouldn't be bad. I was using Rahr and it was under $100 for 100 pounds in the fall. Some HBS are over 60 for 2 row breiss. G&G in Akron is in the mid-fifties. I have never been to the place in Northfield i'll have to check it out.

Brew Brothers in Hillsboro, OR here sells 50# bags of Briess 2 Row for $38.50, and we have no sales tax in Oregon...so its a great deal.

They best part is that they have a "virtual grain bag"

So those of us who cant, or dont want to store 50# of grain can purchase a 50# bag at the bulk price, and pull from their on hand stock which gets subtracted from our virtual bag.

So you get the perks of cheap prices, and not storing it yourself, thus always having fresh(er) grain than if you stored it yourself. In theory every week or two i go in there to get grain they would have a new bag open.

My store in Lansing MI carries milled 50# bags of Briess 2-row for about $50. I have really enjoyed the consistency of the crush. It's usually 3-4 brews for me depending on style and batch size, so it doesn't sit around long enough to stale.

Rahr 2-row is $36 and Breiss is $37 in Plover WI. There is another 15% discount on the next purchase after you spend $200 on their rewards program. I stock up big when I use that.

Depending on where I go the price varies.

My LHBS
$50 for a 50lb sack of Breiss 2 row (not including 10% discount)

My not so LHBS
$55 50lb Breiss 2 row
$75.99 55lb Muntons MO

Bulk supply store with limited stock but great prices
$42.50 for 50lbs Breiss
$43.00 for 55lbs Canadian Malting company 2 row
$59.50 for 55lbs Thomas Fawcett MO

Bulk supply store with limited stock but great prices
$42.50 for 50lbs Breiss
$43.00 for 55lbs Canadian Malting company 2 row
$59.50 for 55lbs Thomas Fawcett MO

Where in Michigan is this?

Might not be valid, but In Canuckistan, for 55lbs 2-row:

LHBS - $50
Group Buy - $28

44.99 (Great Western 50# & 55# Canadian Malting 2 row)
49.99 (55lb Best malt Pilsen)
59.99 (Fawcett base malts 55lb)

Janesville WI

My LHBS in Grand Rapids, MI sells 50lb of 2-row for $45, and I usually wait for a sale, so get it even less than that.

#55 bag Canada Malting 2-row = $27
#55 Canada Malting Munich = $29
#55 Canada Malting Superior Pale Ale = $31
bag of Best Malz Pilsen = $49
bag of Best Malz Munich Dark = $51
bag of Malteries Franco-Belges (MFB) Pilsen = $51

no tax

Wow = $27 for 55 pounds comes out to $.49 a pound when I am paying just North of a dollar a pound at my lhbs. that 100% more $. Incredible!

If you're in MN, Northern Brewer has Rahr 2 row for $34.99 for 50 lbs. 10% off that price if you are an AHA member. 20% off on some sale day.

$67 for 55 lbs MO
about $60 for 50 lbs 2-row Briess

both LHBS

I get a 10% club discount to bring that down but the guy charges sales tax which brings it back up...

Long Island, New York....

Freight is a important factor in the price of grain. When the brew store is also connected with a brewery the quantity bought makes the freight less per bag. My guess is that they are also getting a significant price break also.

28.69€ and 6€ flat shipping from the local online HBS store, here in Germany, for any sack of weyerman malt.

The exchange rate is usually around 1.30 so 45$ for the bag shipped. More bags will spilt the 6€ flat shipping.

My old LHBS store in AR sold breiss for $55 a sack plus shipping. I never purchased one from them having a local store I never cared to have sacks of grains.

Back