Propogation for 2bbl batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sddanc

Reaction score
I have 200ml of solid yeast cake and am aiming to bring to a sizeable pitch for a 2bbl batch. I have a few carboys at my disposal as well as a 15gal conical.

what size steps should I be making, and how many?

thanks

(1.058 anticipated OG; 148fdeg mash)

According to Mr Malty you will need around 2502 billion yeast cells for a a 62 gal batch at 1.058. It estimates around 20L of starter. You could just step it up until you reach somewhere around there.

beerloaf

Rough guestimate with a lot of unknown variables:

Split the slurry between 2 carboys to make 2 - 10 Liter Starters. Now depending on some variables, you will want to step up again in each carboy. Stepping up to 20 Liter starters should render you with approx: ~3000 Billion. Keeping the starter at 10 Liter again will give you something in the ~2000 Billion range. This is all making assumptions that you yeast cake is thick and not older than May. This also assumes there is no way to get a stir plate on these starters as well.

Back