What are the differences of ale yeast available for homebrewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atakanokan

Reaction score
Hi,
I am gathering up items for my first all-grain brew and a question stuck to my mind. Why are there lots of kinds of ale yeast available in the market? Isn't this yeast called "Saccharomyces cerevisiae", a single kind of organism. What I am not understanding is what is difference between all these yeast available?

Ha. That's like asking "why is there air?" (Bill Cosby). Different countries of origin for the different ale yeasts we have now. As well as different styles of ales. Like one for Burton Ales. Nottingham. German ale/kolsh yeast I love. Cooper's ale yeast for that English derived Aussie ales. US-05 for American clean flavored ales,Belgian yeasts for their trappist style ales...:drunk::mug::ban:

What I don't understand is, if they contain genetically-same ale yeast how are they different from each other? And also, can I use dry baking yeast for my brew (I checked the package it contains Saccharomyces cerevisiae)?

Attenuation is how much sugars the yeast will eat up. High attenuation will often produce a drier beer, while low will leave residual sugars behind making a sweeter beer. Mash temp also effects this.
Flocculation refers to yeast in suspension. High will be clearer, low will.be cloudier like a hefeweizen.
Temp range is very important. If you don't have a fermentation chamber, choose a range that works with you ambient temps.
Esters and flavors, think Belgian beers.

The companies websites should have all this info listed for you along with a list of beers each type of yeast will work well with.

What kind of beer are you brewing? For your average American ale, you usually can't go wrong with white labs 001, wyeast 1056, or us 05 (dry yeast). They are all supposedly the same strain, just different companies.

What I don't understand is, if they contain genetically-same ale yeast how are they different from each other? And also, can I use dry baking yeast for my brew (I checked the package it contains Saccharomyces cerevisiae)?

So your genetically the same as the person sitting next to you( unless their are your identical twin that is impossible and even then it is most likely impossible). Those slight tiny differences in the genome is what makes them different. Saccharomyces cervisiae is a species, the different types of yeast are varieties.

You could technically use bakers yeast, but you will be much happier with your beer if you use beer specific yeast. Safale or Danstar make great dry yeast.

Edit: if youre using someone's recipe, it should say what yeast to use. If you're making your own recipe, check the recipe database here for what other members are using for that style.

Breadyeast isn't the same as brewer's yeast. Think genus,not family. their are many different genuses of yeast that are peticular to their country of origin,manufacturer,& brewery.

So your genetically the same as the person sitting next to you( unless their are your identical twin that is impossible and even then it is most likely impossible). Those slight tiny differences in the genome is what makes them different. Saccharomyces cervisiae is a species, the different types of yeast are varieties.

Or like different dog breeds. They all eat the same basic kind of food, but what a chihuahua leaves in the yard is quite a bit different than, say, a Great Dane.

Back