yeast starter temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LovesIPA

Reaction score
I keep my stirplate in the garage because of the noise and the weather is getting warmer. It's probably 80 out there. When the weather gets warmer it will be 100+. How warm is too warm for a starter?

I don't think I'd want to push much beyond 90°F, and even that is about 5 degrees higher than I'd aim for, having read a few articles on yeast propagation. While 100 degrees might not be fatal, I'd imagine the yeast would be stressed such that the replication would be inhibited to at least some degree, which is pretty much the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish...

Cheers!

MrMalty advises as follows:

Warmer starters (up to 98°F, 37°C) equal more rapid yeast growth, but using these very high propagation temperatures negatively affects the viability and stability of the resulting yeast. Very rapid growth or excessive growth can result in weaker cell membranes due to lower unsaturated fatty acid concentrations. Lager yeasts tend to be especially sensitive to high temperatures.

The cooler you ferment the starter (down to the planned fermentation temperature for the main batch) the slower the yeast growth, but the yeast can be healthier than yeast coming from a high temperature starter.

Keep starters between 65°F (18°C) and 75°F (24°C). A temperature around the low 70s (72°F, 22°C) strikes the best balance for the propagation of yeasts. Lager yeast starters can be kept a few degrees cooler and ale yeasts can be kept a few degrees warmer, but this temperature strikes a good balance of yeast health and efficient propagation for both types of yeast.

I think it somewhat depends on how many times you plan to use the yeast. If you only plan on using it a single time, high temps aren't optimal, but it will probably still make good beer. If you plan to wash the yeast, starter temps are more critical.

I run mine at room temp (70-75*F) in the kitchen and harvest/rinse yeast.

My DIY plate hardly makes any noise since I spin it just fast enough to create a small dimple in the top.

Mine is pretty quiet but SWMBO is sensitive to repetitive noise. It's in the family room right now but I'll have to figure something out for the summer.

Back