Hydrated Yeast pitching temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavemanbrews

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I apologize if this has already been asked and answered but I cannot seem to find any posts or good answers on this subject. Is it okay to pitch rehydrated yeast that is in the 90 to 105 degree range into my chilled and aerated wort that is in the 62 to 68 degree range?

F.Y.I. I brew 5 gallon extract batches and chill the wort with a sink full of ice water down to about 74 degrees then sanitize fermenting bucket, transfer, aerate and then leave in fermenting chamber till it hits 64-68 degrees. Before i would just pitch the yeast when the wort is 70-74 degrees.

No.

You have to "attemperate" the rehydrated yeast before pitching. By the time it has sat for 25-30 minutes, it will probably be in the upper 80's or so.

Add a small amount of the cooler wort to the yeast, stir and let sit a few minutes. Repeat (usually 3-4 times) until it's within 10*F of the wort temp.

BTW- good idea to get your ale wort down into the 60's. You will obtain a better/cleaner result.

Back