Candida (yeast overgrowth) internally - men are not suppose to look pregnant.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBC

Reaction score
I am hoping for some insight and for some respectful replies here- if the subject matter is too serious for you, please find another post to jab at.

However, I cannot imagine that I am the only one concerned with internal yeast growth. I would suspect the recent issues have been due to my past year obsession with making and partaking in homebrew.

First, the nutshell in my layman's terms: Candida yeast growth inside humans bodies is normal in low levels and your body can control overgrowth- from what I have read. Sugar, as we all know, grows yeast. Alcohol/beer/bread - the things we all love are some major culprits. The yeast makes your stomach and digestive system a home, and grows. We all know what happens when yeast grows. Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool are all obvious responses- and some theorize that there are many more issues internally that folks face as a result... bottom line, it is an issue.

As I watched informational videos about how to brew over the years, I could not help but notice how many men look pregnant! I have done so myself in the past few months- without much weight gain beyond my average.

After eating, or partaking in a favorite beverage, I feel bloated/light headed/lethargic. And (graphic) I saw yeast in my stool yesterday which pushed me to this research.

Some say this is a form of IBS- but other physicians have labeled this as a systematic yeast infection. It is serious enough for me to have done the research and now I am hoping that others here have some insight.

Let it be known that I do not want to give up my hobby. I have 5-kegs on tap right now!!! oh-what to do??? I am hoping that folks here have learned how to deal with it, feel comfortable/healthy, and not look like a pregnant man.

It seems that if I focus on getting the yeast build up under control- I can reintroduce sugary food/beer in moderation. Many times, recent antibiotic treatments can kill your beneficial bacterial which keeps the yeast/fungus issues under control. That would be me after a spat of pneumonia.

Any words of wisdom on how I can have my cake (& beer) and eat (drink) it too?

I doubt what you saw was actually yeast. Any reason to think that's what you saw other than internet sources?

Best,

I doubt what you saw was actually yeast. Any reason to think that's what you saw other than internet sources?

Best,

I went to the internet to find out what the white specs in my stool were. The other symptoms is that after drinking a few glasses of wine (4-5 hours) I am miserable. After eating (a few hours) of anything in the bread/sugar category - I am very bloated. I kind of expect that after drinking beer...so I have not analyzed that too much. I have had a few yeast infections this past year treated with OTC drugs.. and just assumed those were just normal- but I do not recall ever having those.

This past year has been somewhat unhealthy (pneumonia 1-year ago, and 3-months ago viral meningitis). Antibiotics have been used in the past year to combat a few infections--per Docs assessment.

I suppose that mostly, I have just felt that I have something going on in my stomach (in my head??) and trying to figure out what is going on. At this point, I am not 100% convinced, but it is pointing to yeast overgrowth.

do not get me wrong, I am not saying that a normal healthy man who consumes beer on a regular basis is going to have the issue... I am saying that this may faced a year of low immune system combined with 2 batches of antibiotics, and a big change to my diet (homebrew).

Yogurt with active cultures are often recomended to people who are taking antibodics to bring up their natural bacteria count. Perhpas this would help.

I am thinking the same.. a few diet modifications plus being okay looking more pregnant while my body resets-- is what I need to consider.

My plan this entire winter has been to focus on better food this summer-- but I was not considering removing alcohol.

Biologist here.

First, I agree with northcal: what you saw in your stool was most likely not yeast. There are a million different kinds of organisms in your digestive tract, and without a microscope, there's no good way to tell one type from another. Even with a microscope, that task is often impossible, even for a trained microbiologist. A layperson looking at a log isn't going to be able to tell yeast from paramecia.

Second, the yeast that you drink in your beer is a totally different species than the yeast that lives in your digestive system. Beer and digestive fluid are totally different environments. The yeast in your beer will grow about as well in your digestive system as a penguin in the Sahara.

What's more, the environment of your stomach and upper intestine are totally different from that of your lower intestines. Even if the yeast you drank was growing in your digestive tract, very little of it would make it into your stool.

Feeling bloated, gaining weight, and having low energy can be caused by lots of things. It could be diabetes, it could be a thyroid disorder, it could be normal aging, it could be stress, or it could be nothing at all. Gastrointestinal infection is not a cause of those symptoms, however. More than likely, it's nothing serious, and will pass with time. If your symptoms worsen, you might ask your doctor and take a blood test. They will probably tell you the same thing as I'm telling you right now. (When I asked my doctor about similar symptoms, she thought it was just stress, and sent me home. She was right!)

Another thing that can cause a bloating feeling is too much salt in your diet or improper hydration. Make sure you're drinking enough water (not just beer!), and cut down on salty foods. Even if that isn't the cause of your current problems, it'll make you feel healthier in the long run anyway.

So I have about 3 pints each night (kegged) and I have the symptoms you describe frequently "...Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool...".

I am sure it is from the MASS quantities of beer I consume, over four days I drank 4-5 gallons while on vacation last week and one day I could not button my pants, next day fine…

BUT

Sunday night I whipped up some Ayran (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ayran-(Turkish-Yogurt-Drink)) drank it, went to bed, and my problems went away… So the other poster may have a point.

When I was a kid I lived in Turkey and developed a taste for the stuff,,, I just added salt, water, and yogurt (the good kind like the Greek stuff they are selling these days).

Just so you know-----I am not an alcoholic,,, I just brew a lot of low gravity/session beers.

Then again things affect people differently. Wheat, Barley, Peanut nuts, Nuts, Tomatoes and Strawberries make some people sick so I assume the same should be true for yeast

Well you could always pasteurize the beer.

Pasteurizing will indeed kill the active yeast in the beer. I am not so sure that the yeast in the beer is the only culprit- although I am sure it is a part. The main issue is the amount of sugars in the beer/alcohol which fuel whatever yeast is growing in the digestion system. Yeast can tolerate high acidic levels-- we all know that due to star-san products.

From what I have read-- it takes more than one treatment of probiotics (yogurt). Who knows- it may not have taken long for you due to having a healthy system to start with. My point being thought that I think it can be controlled with a bit of diet modification-- glad to hear that yours was quickly controlled-- I am hoping the same for me.

So I have about 3 pints each night (kegged) and I have the symptoms you describe frequently "...Stomach aches, bloating, flatulence, loose stool...".

I am sure it is from the MASS quantities of beer I consume, over four days I drank 4-5 gallons while on vacation last week and one day I could not button my pants, next day fine…

BUT

Sunday night I whipped up some Ayran (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ayran-(Turkish-Yogurt-Drink)) drank it, went to bed, and my problems went away… So the other poster may have a point.

When I was a kid I lived in Turkey and developed a taste for the stuff,,, I just added salt, water, and yogurt (the good kind like the Greek stuff they are selling these days).

Just so you know-----I am not an alcoholic,,, I just brew a lot of low gravity/session beers.

Then again things affect people differently. Wheat, Barley, Peanut nuts, Nuts, Tomatoes and Strawberries make some people sick so I assume the same should be true for yeast

Plus alcoholics go to meetings :mug: The rest of us do to - but our meetings are at the bar.

"Don't like your job? there is a support group for that called everybody and they meet at the bar" - Drew Carry Show.

Make sure you're drinking enough water (not just beer!)

There is one Biologist here who is not getting a Christmas card from me?

If not beer then what?

He can't be suggesting water? That stuff can kill you....

What are the symptoms of accidental Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose?

You may not always recognize that you have been a victim of accidental DHMO overdose, so here are some signs and symptoms to look for. If you suspect Dihydrogen Monoxide overdose, or if you exhibit any of these symptoms, you should consult with your physician or medical practitioner. The data presented here is provided for informational purposes only, and should in no way be construed as medical advice of any sort.

Watch for these symptoms:
  • Excessive sweating
  • Excessive urination
  • Bloated feeling
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Electrolyte imbalance
  • Hyponatremia (serum hypotonicity)
  • Dangerously imbalanced levels of ECF and ICF in the blood
  • Degeneration of sodium homeostasis

A recently noted medical phenomenon involves small amounts of DHMO leaking or oozing from the corners of the eyes as a direct result of causes such as foreign particulate irritation, allergic reactions including anaphylactic shock, and sometimes severe chemical depression.

Please do not take this reply to offense, but I think there are some valid points and others that may not be.

The first being the assumption that the beer yeast is the culprit- I am not so sure of that myself- but know that you/I/everyone here has levels of yeast in their body that grow/and controlled by your body's natural levels of bacteria. The goal being normal levels-- but you/I/everyone here knows that wide-spectrum antibiotics kill all-bacteria both good & bad in your system. This is why yeast infections often occur following a treatment. I am not saying that antibiotics are evil either.

I am not 100% sure that the white specs are yeast--- it was just what convinced me to do the research. I know a pinworm infestation would look similar--and we have dealt with that in the past - enough said there :)

You may be on to something as well with hydration.. it could be that I am just not drinking enough- I am trying to drink 1-gallon or so of water a day and doing well since I suspected that about a week ago... My awareness of an issue has not just started recently.

I have had blood work done in the past 4-months or so, and the only elevated level I had at the time were my Triglycerides - you can do the assumption there as beer/alcohol increase these levels along with other fatty acids.

Stress?? yeah, it is there... and definitely affecting me. We had a 3-wk old baby stop breathing here a few weeks ago and that has added a bit of stress I would say. Work stress too... but I felt stomach related issues prior to this over the course of the past year (post antibiotic treatment).

I would say that I was never one to get a beer belly in the past... I had real fat!... lost a bunch of weight over the years from diet and exercise. I am still overweight, and still losing weight slowly (a few pounds each year). I would like to say that I am more in tune now with my body.

In conclusion, I agree that what I saw may not have been yeast. I agree that stress and hydration could be a factor. I however feel that there are a few more variables that are going on and need addressed---

Maybe the conclusion for me just needs to be moderation?? A few beers each week vs. a gallon a week? I do not want this-- I have just noticed too many things that are going on right now and not willing to be miserable.

Biologist here.

First, I agree with northcal: what you saw in your stool was most likely not yeast. There are a million different kinds of organisms in your digestive tract, and without a microscope, there's no good way to tell one type from another. Even with a microscope, that task is often impossible, even for a trained microbiologist. A layperson looking at a log isn't going to be able to tell yeast from paramecia.

Second, the yeast that you drink in your beer is a totally different species than the yeast that lives in your digestive system. Beer and digestive fluid are totally different environments. The yeast in your beer will grow about as well in your digestive system as a penguin in the Sahara.

What's more, the environment of your stomach and upper intestine are totally different from that of your lower intestines. Even if the yeast you drank was growing in your digestive tract, very little of it would make it into your stool.

Feeling bloated, gaining weight, and having low energy can be caused by lots of things. It could be diabetes, it could be a thyroid disorder, it could be normal aging, it could be stress, or it could be nothing at all. Gastrointestinal infection is not a cause of those symptoms, however. More than likely, it's nothing serious, and will pass with time. If your symptoms worsen, you might ask your doctor and take a blood test. They will probably tell you the same thing as I'm telling you right now. (When I asked my doctor about similar symptoms, she thought it was just stress, and sent me home. She was right!)

Another thing that can cause a bloating feeling is too much salt in your diet or improper hydration. Make sure you're drinking enough water (not just beer!), and cut down on salty foods. Even if that isn't the cause of your current problems, it'll make you feel healthier in the long run anyway.

20/10 to be exact... thanks.. but as I stated-- it look'd odd, and I went to find out what the heck was happening. Others stated it is a sign of yeast build up- and that is why I am here... to see what other beer brewing geeks would do.

Man, you've got some really good eyesight.

I am trying to drink 1-gallon or so of water a day

Well don't overdo it! A gallon is on the high side of what you should be drinking in a day, and too much water can cause problems. Hyponatremia (a condition caused by too much water and too little salt intake) is known to cause fatigue. It's hard to gauge the "correct" amount of water intake, but make your own judgment based on how much you sweat, how much you exercise, and how thirsty you feel.

You can't go wrong following the advice of others and taking a few probiotics. If that's really the cause of some of your symptoms, a couple days should be enough - the little bugs will grow just fine on their own after that.

Medical professional here (I do the same thing that doctors do, but at 80 mph)..

Go see your doctor. Tell him what's going on. Let them take a stool sample, run some bloodwork.

For the love of all that is holy, don't start researching it yourself. By the time you get done researching everything (especially at WebMD), you'll be convinced that you are dying of everything and have 20 minutes to live.

If you're having issues with yeast overgrowth in your stomach or whatnot, the simple sugars in beer and others may be the cause. Maybe you should go paleo for a few days and see if that doesn't help clean things up. Or try the probiotic yogurt thing to get your levels better.

Eat healthy. The south beach diet is good. Lots of greens, no cheetos, not so much fat and you will be surprised how good you feel. Stay away from Mcdonalds, they are trying to kill us.

Medical professional here (I do the same thing that doctors do, but at 80 mph)..

Go see your doctor. Tell him what's going on. Let them take a stool sample, run some bloodwork.

For the love of all that is holy, don't start researching it yourself. By the time you get done researching everything (especially at WebMD), you'll be convinced that you are dying of everything and have 20 minutes to live.
This. Times a million. Getting health advice on the internet is about as bad an idea as there is.

That said, bloating after beer consumption is hardly a new thing. The usually-stated cause is a mix of the carbonation plus difficult-to-digest carbohydrates (i.e. the dextrins that give beer its mouth-feel). As brewmcq said, if its a concern, see your doctor.

one last point - while they are currently a fad, the scientific evidence showing benefits to probiotic consumption are poor at best. A couple of labs here research dysbiosis (supposed mis-balances of our gut/skin/etc bacteria/yeast/etc) and the effects of probiotics on them. Long story short - its unclear if dysbiosis is a cause of disease or an effect of having a disease, and the ability of probiotics to affect it are minimal and short-lived (hours-to-days).

Bryan

I had dinner at SWMBO's parents last weekend and her aunt was talking all about the "abundance of yeast" problem. Apparently, it was one of those "shock and awe" stories on the news.

As she was talking, I immediately thought of my beer. While homebrewing can make it worse, it really shouldn't turn an otherwise healthy person into a walking yeast starter. I've started taking probiotics daily to help my digestive health in general and I have noticed a difference in how I feel if I miss a couple of days. My stomach has flattened out a bit too! I don't think this is a result of homebrewing, but overall digestive health. Apparently, I was given a ton of antibiotics as a child for ear infections and the like (which makes you more susceptible to yeast issues.)

Other than that, I haven't made a whole lot of lifestyle changes.

You mention you drink session beers...I hate to say it, but session beers are one of the worst to be consuming if you have this problem because you're most likely introducing a lot more sugar by drinking several of them.

It sounds like you have the idea of what's happening. Just know you're not alone...but I haven't stopped brewing because of it.

...Kind of like looking in the toilet to begin with!

Digestive health is VERY important.

Pro-biotics:
Pro-biotics are great if you are recovering from anti-biotic treatments, but you shouldn't need to take them daily.

Beer Belly:

Viceral fat (aka. metabolic fat) is the primary cause of beer belly.

Hydration:

Too much sodium, and you will swell up like a balloon (bad electrolyte balance resulting in water retention).
Too many diuretics (like alcohol), and you will shrivel up.
...combining the two won't cancel each other out--it will make you feel sick (low energy, aches and pains, etc...).

*your best bet is to consume plenty of healthy fluids (water, fresh vegetables and fruits, etc...) and limit consumption of salt (sodium), sugars (high fructose corn syrup, etc.), preservatives, processed foods, carbonated beverages, and liquor.

If you really want to get healthy start with:
drbenkim.com (there isn't a doctor I respect more)
drfuhrman.com (this guy is rather self-serving, but his "nutritarian diet" is the best I have seen).
And it wouldn't hurt to watch the documentary "Forks over Knives."

I know this post is old but just wanted to mention the solution to your problem in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread. You have yeast overgrowth in your gut and need to go on the Candida Diet for 6 weeks to 6 months depending on how bad the overgrowth is. The Candida in your gut feeds on carbohydrates, and it absolutely loves beer and wine. You need to starve the yeast to kill it. Basically stop eating carbs is the only solution currently. Protein and fat only. Side benefit, you will get ripped rapidly on this diet as your body will be catapulted into ketosis.

Latest posts

Back