BCS Temp probe to Cat5e Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaz4121

Reaction score
I bought several of these bad boys for my BCS-462 control panel build:

http://www.brewershardware.com/4-Temperature-Sensor-for-BCS-460.html

From ebrewsupply.com, I got the idea to tie these into a Cat5e plug to ultimately run to my BCS (see http://www.ebrewsupply.com/controllers/temperature-probes/deluxe-4in-temp.html). I didn't want to run the temp probes directly to my BCS since I was afraid they would get ripped out.

How exactly do I do this?

The temp probes are 22 gauge (2 wires only I think), but how do I connect to a Cat5e? Do I just need the end crimps? Or do I need to splice to an ethernet cord? Also how would I then connect the female Cat5e receptacle to the BCS?

Sorry for the noob questions. Please help!

I know I can connect directly, I was trying to avoid this in case there was too much tension on the wire. I'd like to avoid a direct connect.

Any other suggestions?

Easy peasy.

1. Get cat 5 ends and a crimper.
2. Insert the temp probe leads into any pair in the end (I use 4 and 5).
3. Crimp.

For the jack, just wire the same pair and connect one lead to your out, and one to the ground.

ForumRunner_20130505_133818.jpg

@luhrks

I have these cat5e ends:http://www.ebrewsupply.com/more/xlr-cat5-connectors/cat5e-crimp-on.html

And these cat5e receptacles: http://www.ebrewsupply.com/more/xlr-cat5-connectors/cat5e-gigamax-quickport-connector.html

Couple of other questions:

1. How do I know which spots in the end correspond to the correct spots in the receptacle?
2. The numbers on the receptacle correspond to the appropriate spot right?
3. Do the receptacles need any other wiring besides the above?
4. Do I wire one of the wires to the corresponding temp in and one to the ground of the BCS?

Thanks for the help, I'm still learning obviously.

Use slots 1 and 8 and you don't have to count.

The jack will be marked for 1 and 8 as well.

I run 4 probes on my rig in a single CAT-5 cable. Ensure that you put a jumper wire at the BCS from the BCS ground to the AC ground. If you don't, you'll see fluctuations amplified in your temperatures (they'll bounce up & down).

Where did you get your wire? I need to buy extra to run longer lengths and can't find it anywhere. Mine is 22 gauge with two conductors.

ok that makes sense. I didn't know if I had to match the 22 gauge wire in both the Cat5e end and receptacle. So the Cat5e cable will work just fine? Do I connect two "pairs" to the 1 and 8 slots or just one single conductor?

From garbageman's post it looks like I can just connect one single conductor to each slot, and utilize one single cat5e cable for 4 receptacles. Does this sound right?

Also how do I "extend" my temp probe lines outside my control panel? Can I use cat5 cable there as well? I need to add 10 feet to one of my probes to get to my kegerator.

ok that makes sense. I didn't know if I had to match the 22 gauge wire in both the Cat5e end and receptacle. So the Cat5e cable will work just fine? Do I connect two "pairs" to the 1 and 8 slots or just one single conductor?

From garbageman's post it looks like I can just connect one single conductor to each slot, and utilize one single cat5e cable for 4 receptacles. Does this sound right?

You are 100% correct.

I run 4 probes on my rig in a single CAT-5 cable. Ensure that you put a jumper wire at the BCS from the BCS ground to the AC ground. If you don't, you'll see fluctuations amplified in your temperatures (they'll bounce up & down).

Thanks for the advice. Does this mean I run one of the cat5 pairs to the BCS TEMP recept, one to the ground bar, and the BCS ground to the ground bar? Or do I have to run the BCS ground to some terminal blocks, connect one cat5 pair to the terminal block, and the terminal block to the ground bar?

I know this was an old post but this should be stickied somewhere :) A must for anyone who uses the BCS. I was bouncing up and down 7 degrees non stop. Now it's perfectly stable.

I ran a ground wire directly from my main grounding terminal directly to the BCS ground that the temp probes were sharing.

2013-11-25 20_53_04-Collect Data.jpg

Any ideas how long of a run you can make with the Cat5? I want to do something similar in my fermentation room and I'd want to use cat 5 wire and connectors between my fermenters and my brewPi.

Back