American IPA and WLP002

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold_Robber

Reaction score
I need to use up my WLP002 and I want to make an American IPA.

I read that I should either add sugar to the boil or mash at a low temperature of I use WLP002 in an American IPA.

Is this necessary?.

I can't imagine why you would have to do that. Regardless of where the fermentable sugars come from (as in from table sugar, from your malted grains, candi sugar rocks or syrup, etc.), that yeast should be able to handle it.

So I would say, no that's not specifically necessary. Mind telling where you read that?

Also, not telling you how to brew since doing things your way is the best part of brewing, but I personally wouldn't make an American IPA with that English ale strain. I would make an English style IPA or Brown ale. But that's me.

I can't imagine why you would have to do that. Regardless of where the fermentable sugars come from (as in from table sugar, from your malted grains, candi sugar rocks or syrup, etc.), that yeast should be able to handle it.

So I would say, no that's not specifically necessary. Mind telling where you read that?

Also, not telling you how to brew since doing things your way is the best part of brewing, but I personally wouldn't make an American IPA with that English ale strain. I would make an English style IPA or Brown ale. But that's me.

I found the idea here http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=95373#p860731

I see. He (She?) was saying that because his beers come out malty, he's using sugar to thin out the final flavor. Table sugar will add alcohol without adding much flavor, so that will dilute any other grain flavor. It "drys" the final beer out, so to speak.

So the answer is still no. You do not have to add sugar. You can, but it's not required. Have a recipe in mind that you want to share?

If I was making an IPA with 002 I'd try to keep the mash around 149ish. I wouldn't add any sugar. 002 is a fine yeast to make a pale or an IPA. It's close to the Stone strain and is recommended by them in their home brew recipes. :mug:

If you can, give it a big pitch and keep your fermentation temps on the lower end( 1.5X pitch at 62-64 ferment around 66) . You will not want a lot of fruity esters 002 can kick off in the beginning of fermentation.

I cant keep the temp that low now that the hotter weather is here. I wish they would invent a cooling-belt for my fermenter./carboy.

I cant keep the temp that low now that the hotter weather is here. I wish they would invent a cooling-belt for my fermenter./carboy.

If you can get a keg tub or 32 gallon trash can, put your carboy in it and fill around it with water.

Also cool the wort down to 62-64 before pitching and give it a double pitch if you can, then hopefully it wont matter as much if it warms up past 68-70.

You should really consider some sort of fermentation temperature control, a cheap freezer chest on CL and a $45 Ranco controller, and 20 min to wire it up. It will be the best brewing investment you ever made. Last freezer chest I got on CL was $20, I've had it for 3 years now no problems.

If you can get a keg tub or 32 gallon trash can, put your carboy in it and fill around it with water.

Also cool the wort down to 62-64 before pitching and give it a double pitch if you can, then hopefully it wont matter as much if it warms up past 68-70.

You should really consider some sort of fermentation temperature control, a cheap freezer chest on CL and a $45 Ranco controller, and 20 min to wire it up. It will be the best brewing investment you ever made. Last freezer chest I got on CL was $20, I've had it for 3 years now no problems.

Right now I have a large rubbermaid container filled with water. I rotate frozen water bottles, but the temp is fluctuating quite a bit. I leave for work and am gone at least 9 hours.

Thanks for your encouragement regarding the freezer chest. I'll look into it.

You can also put a cotton t-shirt around your carboy or bucket while it's in the water-filled rubbermaid. The shirt will keep the upper part of the fermenter cool, and the evaporation should help to maintain a pretty steady temperature.

If I'm not mistaken, DFH uses a strain of English Ale yeast in their IPAs. It should turn out a fine IPA.

Back