When Fly sparging...treat the water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cani0501

Reaction score
Should I be treating my sparge water prior to fly sparging. I want a crisp IPA at the end of every batch. I've seen this topic elsewhere, but never a definative answer.

My base water profile is as follows:

Ca 72 ppm
Mg 24.5 ppm
Na 10 ppm
SO4 46 ppm
Cl 5 ppm
Alkalinity 260 ppm

I am treating my mash to be similar to that of Burton. I'm just not sure what to do with the sparge water. I don't want to defeat the effort of modifying my mash with brewing salts, by using an improper sparge water profile. :tank:

From a noob's standpoint in the water front, I'd say you have pretty decent water but a little high alkalinity. This would mean you may only need to acidify the sparge water a touch with little to no additional salts. You are probably aware, but Bru'n Water is a fantastic resource and would help you dial in your numbers considering you already have your water profile. It looks intimidating at first glance but once you go through it a couple times it's actually quite easy to use. If all you are interested in then it may as simple as entering your water profile and then using the 'Sparge Acidification' Worksheet.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

I personally like to treat my mash and sparge water the night before brewing with a half or quarter tab of campden. (I think one tab is enough for 20 gallons)

The campden will drive off chlorine and chloramine, both of which could affect the taste of your beers.

Other than that, your profile looks decent enough for a crisp IPA.

Thank you thank you. I've been brewing for years, and am just now starting to spend time learning the chemistry of brewing. To me, water is the most confusing aspect. So, thanks for the clarification.

I have a preorder for the book Water. Most folks in CO don't mess with their water other than taking out the chlorine / chloramine, but it is an interesting topic.

Don't target a Burton profile. They tend to report concentrations that are too high for good brewing practice. Those attending the AHA Conference in Philly will have the opportunity to learn why the Burton profiles that are often quoted, are not representative of what the brewers of the day actually used.

Don't target a Burton profile. They tend to report concentrations that are too high for good brewing practice. Those attending the AHA Conference in Philly will have the opportunity to learn why the Burton profiles that are often quoted, are not representative of what the brewers of the day actually used.

WOW!!! Please enlighten us because I'm sure you can ;)

I almost always shy away from Burton and aim for your 'Pale Ale Profile' which is generally about 1/2 Burtonized, but I'm intrigued by why the "reported" Burton water profiles are not representative (do they dilute by 50% :D)

Back