Bavarian Weizen Yeast WLP351 Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozart

Reaction score
Hello!

Looking for some information from those familiar with WLP351.

In short, what will fermenting at room temp during the second week of fermentation do to the aroma/flavor profile of my hefeweizen?

I'm looking to brew a weizenbier for a competition in September and am currently trying a couple of different recipes with different weizen yeasts to determine which one I like best.

On my first batch using WLP351, I pretty much followed the yeast directions and pitched the yeast (one week ago today) at 72 degrees (in the evening). By the next morning I had airlock activity, so dropped the temp to 68 (as measured by an insulated probe attached to my fermenting vessel in my chiller) and it's been holding there for the last week.

As of today, I am still getting airlock activity (about once every 20-30 seconds) though it's certainly less than it was. There is also a distinct aroma of banana coming from my chiller when I open the lid.

I want to brew my next batch using a different yeast (WLP380) but am torn as to whether or not I want to brew that today. If I brew it today, the chiller only has room for one fermenting vessel, so the 351 batch would have to finish fermentation at room temperature.

For those experienced with this yeast, how much will it change the flavor/aroma profile of the 351 batch to pull it out of the chamber for its second week?

A slight change? A larger one? If it's smaller, I might brew the next batch today, because at this point I'm just trying to figure out which yeast I like best. If it's going to make a bigger change then I might hold off as any bigger change in aromoa/flavor might unduly influence my perception of which yeast I like better.

Thanks for any guidance you might be able to provide.

Cheers!

Here's the search results I found on white labs sight; http://www.whitelabs.com/search/node/WLP351
You can also search their other wheat beer yeasts for more info. I just got my first batch of wheat beer using WY3056 Bavarian wheat blend yeast going a week ago today,& it looks to be done with initial fermentation. After initial fermentation is done,temp doesn't matter as much.

Back