First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCmedic

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank everyone on here for the vast amount of knowledge that is shared. I got a brewing kit (this one) as a gift and since then I have been reading and researching as much as I can on here.

Two-days ago I made my yeast starter. I didn't have any extra DME except for what was in the kit for the recipe I had bought, so I went to my LHBS and bought a pound of light DME for the starter. Everything with the starter went relatively well. I had white labs WLP001 which sprayed everywhere when I cracked it to pitch in the starter, but I managed to dump what I could in the flask and it seemed to end up working fine (admittedly I was a little freaked out about it but I came on here in researched and read several threads where the same thing happened to other people). I got a great head of krausen and 18 hours later (yesterday) I was starting my brew.

The recipe:
American Pale Ale 2
6 lbs Coopers Light DME
1 Lb Belgian Caravienne (19-27L)
7 AAU Nugget (Boil) (0.52oz @ 13.3%)
2 Oz. Chinook (Finish)
White Labs WLP001
(Steep Grains in bag in 6 gallons of water @ 155F for 20 minutes, remove bag (drain) then bring to boil, add Nugget hops and boil for an hour. After an hour add chinook and cool.)

So I had a couple beers before I started, and perhaps my judgement was a little off but I had the logistical problem of only having a 5 gallon kettle and instead of doing the boil with everything in 2 or 3 gallons then adding water to the fermenter later and mixing the wort with the water, I decided to cut everything in half and do two half batches. :drunk:

I did two batches of 3 gallons of water with half the grain steeped for 30 minutes, followed by boiling for an hour and adding half the hops for each batch. The first batch I dumped into my bucket and kept in my fermentation chamber until the second batch was done, then I pitched my starter (dumped the whole thing in).

Another problem that I ran into is that the lid on my bucket does not fit. No matter how hard I try, I can't get that thing to snap into place. So I just placed it on as best I could and put an airlock with vodka on and put the whole thing into my fermentation chamber (STC-1000 temp controlled fridge).

So this morning I woke up and the airlock is not bubbling but there appears to be a nice head of krausen on the top of the wort. I dunno if it's not bubbling because the bucket is not air tight or because of lag time or what.

What do you guys think? Am I screwed?

It's because it isn't sealed. As long as your beer is making CO2 it being covered is going to protect it, many people open ferment their beers. I would definitely look for a solution though, because once the fermentation stops, nasties can get in if the container isn't air tight.

I have a 6 gallon carboy...I don't know why I didn't just throw everything in there instead last night. Would it be too late to rack everything into there?

Or should I just wait until primary fermentation is over and rack into my 5 gallon carboy and do a secondary fermentation?

Wait until primary is done, or at least a week, then transfer to secondary.

You can always add water (pre-boiled and cooled or bottled) to a smaller volume of boiled wort. Very common for new brewers.

So I checked on it today and the krausen had settled a lot and I took a sample to measure. SG was at 1.016 (at 68˚F) - the OG was 1.060 at unknown temperature (I forgot to check). I racked to my secondary in a 5 gallon carboy. There is a fair amount of headspace - more than I expected. Also, the carboy bung keeps slipping out no matter how deep I push it into the mouthpeice, it just slides right back out and is not making an airtight seal. I've ordered carboys caps, which should be arriving on Monday, but I'm hoping what I have will work. I guess it's going to have to.

The foam is Star-San. I have no idea why the photo is sideways. It is right side up in the original file

Batch_1-3.jpg

Your headspace is fine.

I have the same problem with that type of airlock and stopper. Sanitize the stopper and then wipe it off with paper towel saturated in rubbing alcohol and do the same with the mouth of the carboy. The alcohol will evaporate and leave a nice dry and sanitized surface.

So I finally got around to bottling yesterday...I know 4 weeks in the secondary is a long time, but I have been kinda busy and figured it wouldn't hurt. I tasted a sample though and it tastes HORRIBLE. like undrinkable. It tastes like a cross between rubber and some sort of solvent. I am thinking about dumping the whole batch.

Should I just keep it in bottles and sample it every few months to see if it gets any better? Or is this one of those cases where it's probably not going to get better and I should just dump it?

Well turns out it came out OK. It's drinkable, albeit with a fairly astringent aftertaste (no surprise there) but not bad at all. One of my friends was pretty stoked on it. I guess it goes to show you to stick it out and see what happens. I would have never waited though and would have probably dumped it if it wasn't for all of the knowledge on this site, so thanks again for all of your input, both in this thread and in other threads!

Next up: German Hefeweizen

Back