What should i mash this recipe at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
image-1361211849.jpg

Brewing this up tomorrow, what would be a good mash temp for this? I was thinking about 153 for 60 min doing a batch sparge?

I'd go lower, enough crystal for body, do like 149° for 75 minutes, maximize efficiency, you will lose some with the roasted malts anyway.

I like dry IPAs so I would probably mash fairly low, maybe 150. It depends on how much body you want on this beer. Some IPAs have a good amount of body if that's what you like. I like the hops to shine through so I tend to mash low.

I'd go 150ish...you'll want help to dry this out some given the amounts of specialty malts in there.

Like the others, I'd go low 150's, maybe even 148. You've got enough unfermentables in there that you don't have to worry about it drying out too much.

Thanks everyone, I went with 150. Cooling down the wort right now with my new whirlpool chiller! Missed my OG by about 8 points, so I boiled 30 min longer and hit 1.070. Not sure why I missed this batch. Previous 2 batches I hit 80% mash, but only hit 69% on this one

Back