Upsteam Brewing Company, West Omaha, poor experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fosgate

Reaction score
I really hope this was a one time experience.

Went there a couple weeks ago looking forward to drinking some craft beer being a brewer myself. I asked if they had a porter or stout on Nitro to which they responded they just started serving one on a Nitro tap. I didn't want a sample I asked for a whole glass. Watched them pour it and immediately saw a problem, there was no head and it looked like they were pouring raw beer. Sure enough at first sip, no carbonation. The beer had good flavor but no mouth feel, no head and no carbonation. I practically choked it down as my friends had the same problem with their beers all except some berry flavored beer. My next beer was an IPA which was the same, flat, no head, no carbonation, no mouth feel. Friends boy paid $8 for their home made root beer and it was also not carbonated.

None of these beers were anywhere near their style guidelines due to not being carbonated. Which is a shame because the flavor gave them so much potential. The food was good and food service was good but due to the poor beer I would give them a 1 out of 10 because it's a brewery after all.

Problem should be obvious to anyone who has sight as I questioned the staff who acted like nothing was wrong. If it was a problem with the CO2 or Nitro system they should have fessed up but no one did and for this I will not return nor recommend a brewery that serves in this manner.

Did you mention to them that their beers were flat? Maybe they had a leak and didn't know it

Edit: I win today. Saw at the end of your post you said you questioned the staff

It is stink when bar staff (how might notknow any better) hurt a beers reputation. If you really did like the beer (or like its potential :D) why not email the management, saying that you brought it up with staff and were shot down. I would say a stright copy past of your OP would be fine as it tells the facts pretty well and you didn't dwell on that bad services due to basically being ignored by the staff!
If it was my brewery I would definately appriciate a customer (and potentially a lost customer) giving me the heads up that:
My food was good,
Food service was good,
beer was good (spare one major issue that could be an easy fix),
but the staff were a bit arogant and didn't listern to a customers concern/suggestion.

I'm not the biggest fan of a lot of Upstreams stuff but I have never been there and had thier draft beer be uncarbed so I'm sure something was up. I would recommend Nebraska Brewing Company in LaVista or Rock Bottom downtown for a better brewpub experience.

I like Upstream, been there twice and I haven't had any complaints. Beer was fine, carbonated, etc. I might complain about a lack of variety, but otherwise, I like that place.

Back