Counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodv

Reaction score
Hi. I have some questions for the smart ones out there
I am building a counterflow chiller (all copper). The outer pipe is going to be 22mm. The tube from the chiller outlet to the fermenter is 12mm.
My questions are, will it be best to use 12mm or 15mm pipe for the inner pipe of the chiller?
I know the surface area is greater on the 15mm pipe, but I'm thinking that the amount og hot wort will also be greater so I don't know. Also with the 15mm pipe the space for the cooling water will be smaller.

Help

The Stout counterflow chiller I have has an inner tube of 12mmOD, 10mm ID. The outer tube is 19mm OD, 16mm ID.

The ratio above is 16:10, or 1.6.

If we assume your copper has 1mm walls, then

20:10 for the smaller interior line, or 2.0

20:13 for the larger interior line, or 1.54

So i'd say the larger interior line would be ok, at least it most closely matches the Stout offering. One nice thing about a CF chiller is you can control the degree of cooling by adjusting either the cooling water or the wort flow. If it doesn't quite cool enough for you, reduce the flow of wort a bit.

Now, mine is all stainless, which is not as good a conductor of heat as your copper one will be. So yours should work better.

Last edited:
The Stout counterflow chiller I have has an inner tube of 12mmOD, 10mm ID. The outer tube is 19mm OD, 16mm ID.

The ratio above is 16:10, or 1.6.

If we assume your copper has 1mm walls, then

20:10 for the smaller interior line, or 2.0

20:13 for the larger interior line, or 1.54

So i'd say the larger interior line would be ok, at least it most closely matches the Stout offering. One nice thing about a CF chiller is you can control the degree of cooling by adjusting either the cooling water or the wort flow. If it doesn't quite cool enough for you, reduce the flow of wort a bit.

To match the Stout offering (which, BTW, is Stainless Steel, so not as good a conductor as your copper will be),
Thank you for the reply. How effective is your chiller? I am trying get at least 8 liters/min down to 10-15 deg. C.

Thank you for the reply. How effective is your chiller? I am trying get at least 8 liters/min down to 10-15 deg. C.

Well, it works. Typically I'll recirculate (whirlpooling) through the chiller until the output can be dropped to pitching temp, typically about 70 degrees or 21 degrees C. Then I'll change hoses to the fermenter and direct it into there.

It takes, oh, maybe 5-7 minutes to bring it down to that level--depends on the temp of the water, of course.

My chiller is all stainless, which is not as good as yours will be in terms of thermal transfer. I bought it because I do LODO brewing and copper is a no-no in that universe.

Hello! So i'm also newbie in this kind of hobby. I've been looking a lot about it and i didn't find exactly right solution. I thought about hand made Chiller (whirpooling) and to do what exactly i need. I find out about types and some options at https://breweryandwine.com/for-brewing/best-wort-chiller/ check this out. But all those types has not exactly what i need or large price. In this way only one solution is Hand Made and do that exactly you need.

Back