Counterflow Chiller & Whirlpool Arm - Avoiding O2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm new to LODO, but very interested in giving it a shot. How do you avoid pumping the air that is in the lines & in the counterflow chiller into your wort when you first turn on the pump? Am I better off just sticking to an immersion chiller & avoiding a whirlpool all together to keep it simple?

P.S. I am in the process of designing a new system for myself so not married to either immersion or counterflow. However, since I will have a pump my preference would be counterflow & whirlpool arm if easy enough to make it work

LODO is most important after fermentation. Yeast need the O2 to get going and eat it up in fermentation. So don't worry about your whole process prior to the fermenter. After the ferment is where you want to keep the O2 away.

So bottom line is go with whatever chiller you want!

LODO is most important after fermentation. Yeast need the O2 to get going and eat it up in fermentation. So don't worry about your whole process prior to the fermenter. After the ferment is where you want to keep the O2 away.

So bottom line is go with whatever chiller you want!

Historically most homebrewers only gave attention to cold side oxidation. There's a newer school of thought that also gives attention to reducing hot side dissolved O2.

The thought is that this preserves "fresh malt" aromas that are important for styles like German lagers. Some argue that this also benefits shelf life of other styles as well.

Almost everyone would agree that preventing cold side oxidation is far more important than hotside. Great beers can still be made even in the presence of HSA.

My question though pertains to reducing HSA to comply with the new LODO school of thought methods of which I have yet to attempt

Whirlpool hot. Then chill to pitching temps or as close as you can get in a single pass through your CFC into a purged fermentor. Hot wort is not very oxygen soluble. And whirlpooling hot does a much faster job of dropping out the hot break and kettle hops vs chilling and then trying to let it settle out. If you are really worried you can put a lid on it and blanket with a slow stream of CO2 while it settles. You will want to oxygenate this wort either right before or right after you pitch the yeast.

Or maybe look into some of the LODO gear Stout Tanks is selling now. They have mash tuns and kettles that seal and can be purged with CO2 from top and bottom. Seem to be well thought out if you are serious about LODO.

Make sure you use a good starter or your yeast will not propagate in the wort without the O2. So, sure go for it, whirlpool hot then once through the chiller (unless it doesn't get to pitching temps), pour in the starter and let her rip.

I haven't found a taste difference so I only limit O2 after fermentation. (my batches rarely last long enough to see any difference)

Good luck, I'd like to know what you end up doing and the results. Run 2 batches of the same recipie one with LODO hot and cold, one just after the ferment and compare. Just to see how it turns out.

Make sure you use a good starter or your yeast will not propagate in the wort without the O2. So, sure go for it, whirlpool hot then once through the chiller (unless it doesn't get to pitching temps), pour in the starter and let her rip.

I haven't found a taste difference so I only limit O2 after fermentation. (my batches rarely last long enough to see any difference)

Good luck, I'd like to know what you end up doing and the results. Run 2 batches of the same recipie one with LODO hot and cold, one just after the ferment and compare. Just to see how it turns out.

I will still dose with O2 after the wort is cooled right after yeast is pitched. Just looking to avoid it on the hot side to preserve malt aroma. Adding O2 immediately after yeast pitch at cold temps doesn't have a negative impact

You can read more about it here

https://winning-homebrew.com/low-oxygen-brewing.html

Oxidative reactions happen much faster in hot wort than in cold. The idea is to avoid contact with air until you have chilled where the yeast will have more time to scavenge the oxygen before damage to the polyphenols (your fresh beer flavor) can happen.

That being said LoDO adherants who use counterflow chillers will prepurge the plumbing with either DO water from the HLT or an oxygen free gas such as CO2, nitrogen etc.

Back