One Last Chance For an Infected Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libeerty

Reaction score
I am very new to wild brewing, so I appreciate any input. I made a smoked robust porter that was quite delicious a few weeks ago on tap, but has recently taken on a tart/almost sour smell and taste. It has to be lacto, my first known infection. There is ~2.5 gallons left. I need the keg (I am going to kill everything in it), but could I possibly put the lacto-infected porter into a small carboy and age it for 6+ months? It is actually drinkable now, and I kind of like it, but I don't like serving it to others, so is it worth trying? I could also bottle it from the keg and age it that way too I suppose.

Or should I just toss it, kill everything, and put something else on tap?

It was this recipe here, except I subbed in 5 lbs. of rauch malt: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/bee-cave-brewery-robust-porter-56768/

I appreciate any insight.

depends on your risk tolerance. if you like it now, then i'd drink it while it's decent. you're not sure what bugs are in there - might be lacto, might be something else (or lacto AND something else) - so you have no idea what it will be like in 6 months. could be great, could be awful. spontaneous fermentations with unproven bugs are a total crap shoot.

Back