iBrewmaster2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've loved iBrewmaster. The batch feature is great for brewday record keeping and modification. I've also messed with Beersmith mobile. Beersmith has the cloud feature which is great for multidevice usage.

The new iBrewmaster is pricey. My attempt at importing recipes/batches only picked up about half of my batches - no idea how that happened. The program then crashed just as I entered a recipe; lost all my work.

So - until Brewmaster is more stable and user friendly, I would advise holding off. Ibrewmaster 1 and Beersmith are both cheaper and more functional right now. I bet that it will improve but I don't think it is quite there yet

For those experiencing the difficulty with drop-box - it seems to be working now...no more erors and my import went smoothlt.

Now, as has been mentioned - it entirely loses the mash profile that was used on the prior batches - so this critical piece of info is lost unless you one by one go back and enter the info from iBM1. This is a bad thing...oh, it also has the same effect on any recipies you made in iBM1, not just batches...what a pain

$17.99 is too steep for an upgrade. I use this program sparingly because I really like the app I use on the computer. However, I like having the recipe in my phone, and being able to tweak it, or refer to it at any time. For me, the right price for an upgrade is $5. I'll stay on version 1.

The developer just released an update - v1.01 in the app store which appears to fix many of the issues I listed

Downloaded the update and I'm stoked to use on my next brew day. Cheers all.

Would you mind giving your thoughts on some of the independent calculators that are now included. To be honest, unless these are really good I can't see it being worth upgrading. iBM1 does that I need it to. Specifically:

-How is the refractometer calculator? Does it allow for both OG and FG, and does it include a "wort correction factor" (typically 1.04) like in Sean Terrill's version? (link: http://seanterrill.com/2012/01/06/refractometer-calculator/)

-How does the inclusion of water profiles work? Does it actually help you calculate salt additions or is it informational only?

I'd go directly to iBM with these questions but with all the bug fixes they are doing I wouldn't expect a response. It'd be nice if they were more transparent showing off some of these new features instead of just expecting us to blindly trust that this "upgrade" is really worth $18.

I dove in and bought iBrewmaster 2, below are my thoughts:
  • It's really glitchy and crashes a lot, in fact the first time I opened it on my iPad and on my iPhone it crashed on both
  • There needs to be a seemless way to keep the apps on different platforms in sync (iPad and iPhone)
  • Importing your recipes/batches/DB from iBrewmaster 1 is a joke - you need to make sure your batch sizes are correct and you will HAVE to update your mash profile FOR EACH RECIPE AND BATCH, completely unacceptable as I have way too many old batches to go back in and update when those beers are long gone. I will not be doing this, which means iBrewmaster 1 will forever live on my devices in addition to iBrewmaster 2
  • This app is pretty much unusable for a brew day at the moment. Every time I try to add 0.5 lb Crystal 40L to a recipe it adds the grain correctly but lists the measurement as 8 oz. Cannot figure out away around this
  • Login with Facebook creates an endless loop of login/confirm screens
  • Many screens and options were not thoroughly tested - there are apparent glitches, options and settings that don't function properly
  • Dropbox integration is very glitchy at the moment
  • Seriously, water additions can ONLY be shown in quarts still? WTF
  • They tried to remove those number roller selector things but I don't know that the replacement is any better - I always end up at the second or third decimal and have to backspace through the values. It should just disappear when you jump to the input field
  • Weird keyboard actions on several occasions which make it difficult to see what you are typing because the field is hidden by the keyboard
  • Should have a way to disable "Fullscreen mode" - I need my clock/time at the top!
  • There doesn't appear to be an easy way to provide feedback to the developer/crash reports
  • There needs to be a place where notifications live, the flash screens and pop-ups are really, really horrible
  • Why are the icons at the top of the batch/recipe screens still there? There should be one button within the recipe/batch that gives you access to those features

Bottom line: Save your money for now. At $18 I feel like I've "been had" for the quality of what was delivered.

The developer needs to hire or work with better beta testers - in only a few short minutes with the app I've been able to identify an unacceptable amount of defects. I work in software and tech development and if I was overseeing this project I would have listed the apparent defects and sent this back to the development team to check their work

Some of the calculators are quite nice, I like the yeast one but it is no mrmalty.com - it doesn't have the option for a yeast starter or it doesn't tell you how many vials/packs you need which makes you have to try to guess or research it elsewhere. Easier just to use mrmalty if you ask me. The SG correction is useful just because it's there when you need it and is at hand. The "bottling calculator" is also pretty cool so you know how many bottles to clean and sanitize. All of the calculator screens are suffering from the same problems though - keyboard covers input fields, or scrolling isn't set to the appropriate pixel heights so you can scroll way past the end of the screen.

Here are screenshots of the screens in question so you can see them.

You can customize the values in the water profile or create your own. I just clicked Denver so you can see what it looks like.

Not sure on the salt additions as I don't do any of that yet and don't have a water profile set up. (Edit: Just set up a new water profile for my city. I got the data from the local water district and saved a new profile. Then tried to add it to a 'batch' and what do you know - it didn't save!)

Any other screenshot requests let me know...

image-2522437326.jpg

image-1018237173.jpg

image-215872286.jpg

Awesome, thanks for doing that! You just made my mind up that I will not be upgrading at this time. If the yeast pitching calc is lacking as you say, that would be in addition to a refractometer calc that I don't think will be accurate (no correction factor) and a water profile module that doesn't appear to be interactive.

There are a lot of opinions on this site about how iBM went about its business in releasing iBM2. Everyone is certainly entitled to think what they want, but to me, it's very simple for current iBM1 users. Does iBM2 add $18 of value to the software you already are using? That really is the true measure. In my mind, that's an overwhelming no at this point. That might not hold true for everyone, but I'm glad I found this thread, or I might have made a purchase I think I would have regretted.

Some of the calculators are quite nice, I like the yeast one but it is no mrmalty.com - it doesn't have the option for a yeast starter or it doesn't tell you how many vials/packs you need which makes you have to try to guess or research it elsewhere. Easier just to use mrmalty if you ask me. The SG correction is useful just because it's there when you need it and is at hand. The "bottling calculator" is also pretty cool so you know how many bottles to clean and sanitize. All of the calculator screens are suffering from the same problems though - keyboard covers input fields, or scrolling isn't set to the appropriate pixel heights so you can scroll way past the end of the screen.

Here are screenshots of the screens in question so you can see them.

You can customize the values in the water profile or create your own. I just clicked Denver so you can see what it looks like.

Not sure on the salt additions as I don't do any of that yet and don't have a water profile set up. (Edit: Just set up a new water profile for my city. I got the data from the local water district and saved a new profile. Then tried to add it to a 'batch' and what do you know - it didn't save!)

Any other screenshot requests let me know...

You need to save the water profile under set up, not create a profile while working from a batch. If you save the water profile from the set up screen, it will save the profile.

I was a beta tester on IB2, and although I haven't used the released version yet (I have been in trial the last nine days), will provide some insight for those on the fence.

1) The source/target water calculator is OK. What you have is the ability to save your "home" water as a profile and then select it as your source water. You can then select a target water profile and be taken to a screen where you see both profiles and what looks alot like an ez water style adjustment section. The program (at least in beta) did not suggest additions that would bring your water in line with the target water, but you could see how additions would change your profile and bring you closer or farther from your target, all from one screen.

2) I really like the brix/plato converter although I am ashamed to say that I did not ask if there was a wort correction factor. In my process, the refractometer stays in the garage with the brewing rig and is used for pre boil gravity and OG while I take FG readings the old fashioned way in my basement with a hydrometer.

3) In my process, the calculators are the real upgrade here. The brix/plato converter, the yeast pitching calc, the water chemistry calculator (different than the source/target water profile tool) are all nice and make IB2 a stand alone app for me whereas IB1 wasn't.

4) Speaking to 241's post on the "buggy" issues, I will admit to being perplexed as to why the first version went out to Apple when it did. I was still sending bug reports to Joe when he told me that version 1 was already at Apple for approval and that he was then working on version 1.01. Version 1.01 is out now, but since I haven't downloaded IB2 yet (will before I brew this weekend), I don't know if Version 1.01 fixes the last set of bugs.

5)The last set of e mails I exchanged with Joe dealt with his attempts at a real no sparge calculator. I am hopeful that version 1.01 incorporates the calculator we discussed, because the one that was in the intial release was pretty near useless.

5) Losing the mash profile on import sucks. I was told that there was nothing that could be done about that since the new program combines the mash and equipment profile in one step rather than two as before. I believe that was done for efficiency within the program but it has no discernable effect on how we use the program that I was able to discover. I can not tell you how frustrating it was to recreate an equipment profile and a mash profile every couple of days and then go through each recipe and batch to add that info. So maybe I am a bit jaded as to whether the "upgrade" to a combined mash/equipment profile was worthwhile.

6) The lack of integration between the ipad and iphone is a minor pain in the ass. In my process, I use my ipad to build recipes/prep for brew day/manage inventory etc but use my iphone when I am brewing. So I was really hopeful there would be a simple sync button that would harmonize the data on both devices. Don't misunderstand, the way it is set up is not horrible. Realistically we are talking about three "key strokes" to back up the database on one device and a like number to restore it on another. I have not had any of the drop box issues you guys are reporting, probably because there were far fewer people going in and out of the drop box when the program was in beta. Hopefully that issue gets fixed quickly.

7) On the other issues raised by 241, I agree that calculating water in gallons would be better. I was told that it was a one or another deal and that Joe felt quarts was a more accurate measure. I don't really mind the wheel counters or that the program converts .5 pounds to 8 oz, so I have no comment on those points. I did not experience any of the issues with the text field being hidden by the keyboard, so I can't comment on that either. On the ipad at least it would be nice to see your timers at the top of the screen. I would send an e mail directly to the developer on that point. He has always been very responsive.

Conclusion - If you are looking for a single brew day app, then IB2 is a significant upgrade over IB1. If you are looking for a historical manage batches/recipes archiving program, then IB2 is not really a significant upgrade over IB1.

Haha, now I'm back on the fence. I think this does prove that Joe at iBM really needs to show potential buyers how these new features work, instead of just putting them in a bullet list. I still think it's a risk to purchase, but if some of these tweaks are made it really does seem like an "all-in-one" brewing app, which to me is the magic bullet that would get me to purchase. Right now I get my yeast pitching calcs from one spot, refractometer adjusments from another site, water calcs from a spreadsheet. Having GOOD versions of these various modules in one spot would really set this software apart.

IMO, iBM did a lot of things right which has made it my sole brewing software I use. If iBM2 can do this and get the rest of the new features right, then I'd be sold.

You need to save the water profile under set up, not create a profile while working from a batch. If you save the water profile from the set up screen, it will save the profile.

I was a beta tester on IB2, and although I haven't used the released version yet (I have been in trial the last nine days), will provide some insight for those on the fence.

1) The source/target water calculator is OK. What you have is the ability to save your "home" water as a profile and then select it as your source water. You can then select a target water profile and be taken to a screen where you see both profiles and what looks alot like an ez water style adjustment section. The program (at least in beta) did not suggest additions that would bring your water in line with the target water, but you could see how additions would change your profile and bring you closer or farther from your target, all from one screen.

2) I really like the brix/plato converter although I am ashamed to say that I did not ask if there was a wort correction factor. In my process, the refractometer stays in the garage with the brewing rig and is used for pre boil gravity and OG while I take FG readings the old fashioned way in my basement with a hydrometer.

3) In my process, the calculators are the real upgrade here. The brix/plato converter, the yeast pitching calc, the water chemistry calculator (different than the source/target water profile tool) are all nice and make IB2 a stand alone app for me whereas IB1 wasn't.

4) Speaking to 241's post on the "buggy" issues, I will admit to being perplexed as to why the first version went out to Apple when it did. I was still sending bug reports to Joe when he told me that version 1 was already at Apple for approval and that he was then working on version 1.01. Version 1.01 is out now, but since I haven't downloaded IB2 yet (will before I brew this weekend), I don't know if Version 1.01 fixes the last set of bugs.

5)The last set of e mails I exchanged with Joe dealt with his attempts at a real no sparge calculator. I am hopeful that version 1.01 incorporates the calculator we discussed, because the one that was in the intial release was pretty near useless.

5) Losing the mash profile on import sucks. I was told that there was nothing that could be done about that since the new program combines the mash and equipment profile in one step rather than two as before. I believe that was done for efficiency within the program but it has no discernable effect on how we use the program that I was able to discover. I can not tell you how frustrating it was to recreate an equipment profile and a mash profile every couple of days and then go through each recipe and batch to add that info. So maybe I am a bit jaded as to whether the "upgrade" to a combined mash/equipment profile was worthwhile.

6) The lack of integration between the ipad and iphone is a minor pain in the ass. In my process, I use my ipad to build recipes/prep for brew day/manage inventory etc but use my iphone when I am brewing. So I was really hopeful there would be a simple sync button that would harmonize the data on both devices. Don't misunderstand, the way it is set up is not horrible. Realistically we are talking about three "key strokes" to back up the database on one device and a like number to restore it on another. I have not had any of the drop box issues you guys are reporting, probably because there were far fewer people going in and out of the drop box when the program was in beta. Hopefully that issue gets fixed quickly.

7) On the other issues raised by 241, I agree that calculating water in gallons would be better. I was told that it was a one or another deal and that Joe felt quarts was a more accurate measure. I don't really mind the wheel counters or that the program converts .5 pounds to 8 oz, so I have no comment on those points. I did not experience any of the issues with the text field being hidden by the keyboard, so I can't comment on that either. On the ipad at least it would be nice to see your timers at the top of the screen. I would send an e mail directly to the developer on that point. He has always been very responsive.

Conclusion - If you are looking for a single brew day app, then IB2 is a significant upgrade over IB1. If you are looking for a historical manage batches/recipes archiving program, then IB2 is not really a significant upgrade over IB1.

I still think it's a risk to purchase, but if some of these tweaks are made it really does seem like an "all-in-one" brewing app, which to me is the magic bullet that would get me to purchase. Right now I get my yeast pitching calcs from one spot, refractometer adjusments from another site, water calcs from a spreadsheet. Having GOOD versions of these various modules in one spot would really set this software apart.

IMO, iBM did a lot of things right which has made it my sole brewing software I use. If iBM2 can do this and get the rest of the new features right, then I'd be sold.

I am in exactly the same boat. Brewer's Friend for Brix conversions, ez water for what little water stuff I do, Mr. Malty for yeast stuff, etc. Except for the fact that you kinda have to know how big of a starter you need to reach a given number of cells (IB2 will only give you cell count/vials/packs needed - not the size of a starter) IB2 should replace all that adequately, and keep me in one program.

Thanks for popping in DFP51. Know that my comments/notes are not meant to slam iBM2, the developer or its beta testers - rather I'm trying to point out the massive mis-steps in this application to save fellow users the grief, time and money. IMO this is not worth $18 - that price and quality of the app as it stands now has "bad" written all over it. And I feel a little 'duped' because I paid for this junk.

That's where I did it from. I've created the profile twice now and it hasn't 'stuck'

This is scary. I'm on 1.01 now and am noticing many of the problems it said it would fix, like the keyboard hiding input fields (see first screenshot below - guess I'll hope I punch the Calcium and Magnesium and numbers in correctly the first time or I have to close the keyboard which isn't very easy, check the number and re-click the field to re-enter the number)

So I still don't get why it's "one or the other" and why this is auto converting when there is any value less than a whole pound - when the menu allows you to choose your measurement method (second screenshot). Reminds me of when Facebook does an update and their reasoning is "it's better" when it really isn't. Does the developer seriously go to the home brew store and weigh out his grain bill by pounds on the pound scale they have and then weigh out the smaller grains on an ounce by ounce basis? That makes no sense.

Also it's odd that the style reference pane for your batch doesn't reflect your Actual OG like iBM1 did. We got an upgrade and the feature became worse lol (third screenshot). My Actual OG is out of style at 1.060 but the batch style pane still shows the basic style numbers. iBM1 used to show you where you were at in the batch in comparison to the style.

On 1.01 the "log entry" pane was added, but when I try to create a new log entry it crashes. I re-open, it allows me to create an entry, then it crashes. I re-open, and edit my entry and it crashes. It's also odd that you type in a little 100 px wide horizontal window rather than a vertically expanded input field that allows in-depth entries. Who wants to scroll around a horizontal input field when the user inputs over 50 words?

Photo May 14, 10 43 28 AM.jpg

Photo May 14, 10 43 51 AM.jpg

Photo May 14, 10 45 06 AM.jpg

I don't know what to say about the water profiles. I have added my home water profile a couple of different times and not had an issue with adding it from the ipad under the setup/water profiles tab. I did just pull it up on the iphone and add it, and now I see what you mean about "hiding" the values. I did not have that problem with the ipad. That is a pain in the butt. The program is saving the profile though, so I don't understand what is going on there and why the latest beta would do something the released version does not.

As far as the style guide issue, it seems to me that the program functions like IB1 from the recipe screen, in other words you get the exact same data under the style guide in the recipe section in IB1 and 2 but that IB2 doesn't give you the data you are lookng for from the batch screen. Also weird, and not something I even looked at until now. I usually use the recipe screen to create/tweak recipes which is where the style guide is most useful and then use the batch screen more as a log for what actually happened on brew day/where my various batches are in the process.

IB2 does seem to be more rigorous in what it believes is a recipe function and what is a batch function (the style guide, water profile adjustments only useful in the Recipe section for example). I am not sure why that is. For me, the fact that I can get the data under the recipe is fine. I don't need that data on each batch as well since I don't look at my batches to correct for style, etc.

Lastly, I personally would rather have the program calculate grains in the most accurate measure, i.e. ounces rather than a fraction of a pound but I have no idea why the program doesn't give you the choice. That would seem to be an easy thing.

As I said above, the real upgrade for me is in the calculators. I continue to be perplexed as to why this was rolled ouot before the beta testing was done though.

I continue to be perplexed as to why this was rolled ouot before the beta testing was done though.

You and me both.

Well, hopefully all of this gets fixed within time. Until then I really see no reason to use this app for anything at all

DFP51 said:
I continue to be perplexed as to why this was rolled ouot before the beta testing was done though.

I think this came out early because Beersmith Mobile came out the week before and the iBM developer didn't want people buying that. He probably felt he needed his latest software out there to complete.

Before this release there was a statement on the iBM web site about iBM2 coming in June or July. I think that was the plan until market pressures caused a change.

I think you're right alestateyall

I just went through the process of trying to add a recipe and it crashed twice, losing my progress both times. I got fed up and requested a refund from the App Store. Just got this email:

iTunes Store just sent you a full refund of $17.99 USD for your purchase.

241 said:
I think you're right alestateyall (btw just added you on Twitter @zacbdct)

I just went through the process of trying to add a recipe and it crashed twice, losing my progress both times. I got fed up and requested a refund from the App Store. Just got this email:

Wow. I didn't know refunds were possible.

Thanks for following on twitter. Not that I have much to say.

Wow. I didn't know refunds were possible.

Thanks for following on twitter. Not that I have much to say.

I will re-buy it if I hear reports of it improving. Until then I'm going to stick with iBM1 and put that $18 towards another corny

I bought Beersmith Mobile instead of iBM2. I didn't need it. iBM1 works great for me. But, I wanted an app for both iPad and iPhone.

Beersmith Mobile lacks the inventory, schedule, batch, and notification functions of iBM. But I am enjoying playing with Beersmith.

PS. I may also buy iBM2 at a later date. I don't mind supporting my fellow programmers.

FWIW, I found this app called BrixCalc a couple days ago for refractometer readings. It's really nicely done and offers a lot of options for how to measure and convert your readings. This would have been one of the main sells for me with iBM2 had they gotten it right. Andy, the developer for BrixCalc, has done a nice job with it. I even emailed him last night to suggest he add a second formula for ABV calculation and he quickly replied and said he'd get it in the next update which should be out in the next week or two.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brixcalc/id432095779?mt=8

In regard to the water profile calculator...... Does it allow for RO/Distilled water dilution? Does it project mash pH (like Brun Water).... Or does it basically just give you a place to import your water numbers, then select a desired profile and you add things like CaCl and gypsum until the numbers match . . . . .without any insight into what mash pH might be, the effects of RO dilution, or the effects of grain bill/acidulated malt, etc....

Basically, Does this in any way replace Brun water.... or is it just basically a place to record your additions. I have always just figured my water on Brun water and then recorded additions in "other additions" and under the area for "notes".....

Seems like iBM2 contains all the options people were asking for from iBM. Shady money grab that makes me want to support a different product.

I just want to add that I don't see why additional NB recipes is seen as added value. You can go to the NB website and get the recipes for free. I say, "big deal," iBrewmaster. I bought the app a year ago, so I'm one of those who paid over $15 recently. I'm not upgrading for water profile tinkering and such.

On the new app, does it automatically sync between your iPad and iPhone? Also do you have to buy the app twice, once for iPad and once for iPhone.

I currently only have the iPad version of the original app, I wasn't willing to buy it twice without syncing ability, but might upgrade if it syncs.

reuliss said:
I just want to add that I don't see why additional NB recipes is seen as added value. You can go to the NB website and get the recipes for free. I say, "big deal," iBrewmaster. I bought the app a year ago, so I'm one of those who paid over $15 recently. I'm not upgrading for water profile tinkering and such.

There are also several recipes in addition to the NB recipes. And I for one would rather have them all in the app rather than having to enter in recipes from the website manually.

FlyDoctor said:
There are also several recipes in addition to the NB recipes. And I for one would rather have them all in the app rather than having to enter in recipes from the website manually.

That's one thing that annoyed me really. There were about 600 included recipes that are useless to me. It also defaults by taking you to iBrewmaster's recipes instead of personal. I had to manually remove each recipe since I view it as wasted space. They could have made "free" recipe packs available to those that want them.

Go back to iBM1, 2 is still so buggy, even at v1.02

It was clearly released before it was ready.

241 said:
Go back to iBM1, 2 is still so buggy, even at v1.02

It was clearly released before it was ready.

I just purchased IBM2 and I have to agree that they have lots of bugs to fix

So wait its overpriced and buggy? Id accept cheap am buggy or overpriced and flawless. But i will not stand for overpriced and flawed.

I'll admit it is buggy, but the fixes are in the works. No one who home brews is too cheap to shell out the money for this app and none of us is so non OCD either. Truth be told we home brew because we aren't like the masses and are picky, especially when it comes to beer. I have both apps and have been picking the second apart and sending ideas via email and Facebook and they have all been addressed. I don't have the time or skills to build an app like this, but they do and they keep improving it. Instead of just bashing this app and trying to keep people from purchasing, I say that, buy it and criticize the hell out of it to the designer in hopes that your issues or ideas will be in a future update. If we all did that, I bet we would have the best app for our number one hobby. Just my two cents.

I couldn't agree more. If you don't like the app don't buy it...or do and hell, even come on here and talk about the things you don't like. Looks more like all these people are trying to organize a boycott. Instead why don't you tell the developer about what you want? It won't satisfy your need to be a critic or to be seen as a discerning consumer but it'll surely get the problem fixed. Someone is seriously even whining about a ton of free recipes? Seriously? Because tapping "personal" on the recipes screen is that complicated? And regarding having to pay for iBM2, that's the deal with software. Photoshop, office, windows, Zelda, madden....every year or so almost every piece of software that is commercially available is re-released, SOLD to consumers, with "all of those features we've been requesting from the last version". It costs money to run a business, and software development is a business. This guy added new features we'd been requesting for four years before producing another paid version. Just buy it, or don't, but if you're going to complain, just try to do it constructively instead of just being a critic or promoting boycott.

First of all, this is a forum and the topic of this thread is iBrewMaster2. No boycott, just people giving opinions and experiences from having purchased the product. This developer released this app 2 or 3 months early based on his own website saying it would be released sometime in July. I personally think he released this to stave off the onslaught of users purchasing the newly released BeerSmith mobile app, but that is just my opinion. Also, this developer has opted to charge an enormous price to his existing customers to upgrade their current version. The software is again expensive as apps go to upgrade after you already paid full price only a few months ago, it's very buggy and freezes/crashes all the time. Crashing or freezing in the middle of a brew with the timers going, either mash or boil with hop additions, can be detrimental to your brew day. I think the recommendations in this thread to either wait until the developer gets his act together or look at BeerSmith Mobile, BeerAlchemy, etc are well founded and good advice. YMMV

Jim

It's not an upgrade. It's a new version of the app. It's full price, because its a new version of the software. Buggy because it was entirely rewritten. Should the developer have sorted out the bugs first? Yes, but I am also certain he did as far as he could tell. Testing is one thing but most of the bugs in an app don't rear their ugly heads until they hit the real world. I've written the developer a number of times over the past year or so, sometimes with a stupid "where do I find this" question, sometimes pointing out an issue and have never waited longer than a day for a response.

As far as the boycott recommendation. I've seen a few, one memorable one was the guy who said "I'm deleting this, and the last version off of every device I own and recommending to everyone I know to never do business with this developer".

DerCribben said:
I couldn't agree more. If you don't like the app don't buy it...or do and hell, even come on here and talk about the things you don't like. Looks more like all these people are trying to organize a boycott. Instead why don't you tell the developer about what you want? It won't satisfy your need to be a critic or to be seen as a discerning consumer but it'll surely get the problem fixed. Someone is seriously even whining about a ton of free recipes? Seriously? Because tapping "personal" on the recipes screen is that complicated? And regarding having to pay for iBM2, that's the deal with software. Photoshop, office, windows, Zelda, madden....every year or so almost every piece of software that is commercially available is re-released, SOLD to consumers, with "all of those features we've been requesting from the last version". It costs money to run a business, and software development is a business. This guy added new features we'd been requesting for four years before producing another paid version. Just buy it, or don't, but if you're going to complain, just try to do it constructively instead of just being a critic or promoting boycott.

Seriously! It's an annoyance, and clearly I found a resolution. Yes free recipes can be a good thing but 600 and the default page is a pain. Not to mention a waste of space. Free recipe packs to those that want them is great, but not everyone wants them. I've used iBM1 for a few years and have been happy enough to shell out the $18 to continue support and get improvements. If some of the other programs you mentioned did the same thing you'd be a little annoyed too. It's like a photoshop user constantly having to open up to tons of stock photos instead of what they bought the program for. Personally I like to write my own recipes and this program makes it am easy task with a lot of its features.

Most of us have contacted the developer and he has done a great job addressing most if these issues. As he's done with the original program. I understand there's a priority list and all we can do is wait for our topics to be addressed.

This thread has served more to inform potential buyers of what the pros and cons are of the program. Not a boycott. The whole argument of "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is garbage. It's not like you tried coca cola once and hated it so you never buy it again. $18 to some is a lot to gamble on a program they may not like. There is not doubt in my mind that overtime the kinks will get worked out.

dustin489 said:
On the new app, does it automatically sync between your iPad and iPhone? Also do you have to buy the app twice, once for iPad and once for iPhone.

I currently only have the iPad version of the original app, I wasn't willing to buy it twice without syncing ability, but might upgrade if it syncs.

Anyone know the answer to this?

dustin489 said:
Anyone know the answer to this?

You buy the app once and it's available on both. I don't think it syncs your recipes or tweaks right now. You can always back up on Dropbox and restore the other device from that.

It's not an upgrade. It's a new version of the app. It's full price, because its a new version of the software. Buggy because it was entirely rewritten. Should the developer have sorted out the bugs first? Yes.

You see, I'm in the software development field and it is not industry standard to say, "This is not an update, but a brand new, rewritten program." Not the case at all, while the underlying code is probably optimized and has new features, it still looks like iBrewMaster, still operates like iBrewMaster (with the exception of all the bugs in the new version). Think if Microsoft would come out every year with a new version of Office and say, "Hey, this is a brand new version of Office, rewritten from the ground up, and we're going to charge full price to purchase again." You think that would fly? I can tell you, absolutely NO!

It's not really about the money for me, but the developers approach and seemingly trying to rewrite the rules. As I've stated before, I think the market will ultimately decide the fate of this software developer. It seems to already be doing so with 14 reviews of iBrewmaster2 and about an average of 2.5 out of 5. So word is actually getting around.

Jim

Rob_B said:
You buy the app once and it's available on both. I don't think it syncs your recipes or tweaks right now. You can always back up on Dropbox and restore the other device from that.

Thanks!

dustin489 said:

That's right, nothing syncs. Yes you can export/import your recipes and batches, but all of the profiles need to be added manually. Then of course if you make updates on one device, you'll need to export that recipe and import it on the other device. Hopefully during that process the apps only crash 10 times.. if you're lucky

5/31/13 EDIT: You can sync between multiple devices via Dropbox - continue to next page to find out how in post 82

Back