Results from high temps during beginning of fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
Two brews in and I think I finally have a system for controlling temperature of fermentation. The good thing about this is I think my next beer will really benefit from this, on the downside my current batch may not. I know it was way too high, like 75/76 for around a 15 hr period at the beginning of the fermentation period. My question is what will be the negative effects of this? What off flavors or esters(?), should I be looking for in the final product. I'm not too bummed because I feel like I'm learning as I go. And I know I won't make the same mistake in the future. Thanks in advance!

It's going to taste like nail polish remover. That's the fusel alcohols. Unfortunately, they don't age out.

My first few brews, I actually used a heating belt on my fermentation pail. The resulting beer was undrinkable.

I think you can boil off the fusels at like ~180F. Do a search for more info, I can't recall, but at least you won't waste the whole batch.

what about ramping up temperature after bulk of fermentation is complete? I just finished fermenting Zombie Dust clone (SG 1.069) and after 3 days @ 63-64F I measured gravity and it was 1.022 so I pulled it out of swamp cooler and she rose to 70F fairly quickly and then up to 75F by the next day. Will I be able to taste fusels in finished beer? The reason I ramped up is S-04 likes to finish high from past experience :confused:

Fusels aren't the only fermentation by products magnified by high initial ferment temps being too high,under/over pitching,etc. And the esters produced depend on the particular yeast used. The descriptions of the yeast usually describe what these esters are. And depending on how bad the off process problem was & how long it was aloud to persist will govern the level of the "off flavor". Getting the temp down within range for the rest of primary will help the yeast to clean them up & settle out.
As also will bottle time to an extent. If the off flavor wasn't too bad to start with,I've had them clean up to the point where they couldn't be tasted. In the end,the overall effect is a decent beer...but not a great one.

I recently threw together a bunch of excess ingredients into an "I have no idea what this is supposed to be..." beer. It came out at 1.108 OG and I pitched Wyeast 1762 belgian abbey II into it. I wasn't paying attention to it at first. The next day, I checked my fermometer and it was at 78. The insanely vigorous fermentation was kicking out tons of heat.

Two weeks have passed and I tasted a small sample last night. It tastes like hot alcohol and banana Runts candy. I laughed.

^Give it some extra time in primary to clean up a bit. you might have something there,you never know. Banana gumballhead,anyone?...

I did those temps my first few batches accidentally. I would say it was pretty fruity.Maybe a little hotness.With age it got better but was not a great beer.Mix that with some probably ancient dme from a low turnover rate- LHBS and I got a pretty wineish-like beer. If it doesnt turn out good-which it may be great to you,then just let em sit and move on and control your temps better next beer. Happy Brewing! Learn on.

^Give it some extra time in primary to clean up a bit. you might have something there,you never know. Banana gumballhead,anyone?...

Yeah, I'm letting it hang out for a while. With an estimated 11.7%ABV in the end and being aged with bourbon soaked oak cubes, I'll be pretty far off from Gumballhead. A Gumballhead clone is actually my next recipe though.

Back