Mounting Amp meter shunt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to mount the shunt for my amp meter. I just realized that it doesn't look like others I've seen (namely Kal's). Mine is the first picture. It doesn't have the black mount like the others (second picture). What's the best way to attach this to the back plate of my panel? I'd look for the black mount but I'm not sure what it's called.

shunt.jpg

shunt2.jpg

Is it insulated at all? It doesn't look like it... you'll need to make sure the two ends of the shunt aren't in electrical contact, which is what the black plastic bits do on the normal shunt. You might need to find a hunk of plastic to anchor your shunt to, and then anchor that hunk to the panel.

There's no insulation on my shunt. I didn't notice it until I was working on the layout for my components. What type of plastic would be good to put between the shunt and panel? I wasn't sure how thick it should be. I thought about trying a cover from a conduit body.

Ok, I think I found a solution. A 3/4" conduit body is just the right size for the shunt. Will this be okay to use? Can I just strap this together with nylon zip ties?

shunt update.jpg

It shouldn't get hot at all unless it carries a current over its rated ampacity. There should be very little voltage drop across it.

The shunt has a small, known resistance, which allows a voltage to be measured and the current to be calculated.

Back