I can't be the first one...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
This isn't that big a deal, but I gotta post it to people who might understand.

I am a pretty impulsive and impatient person. Only a small portion of the batches I've made in the past few months have gotten to 3 weeks in the bottle - I always wonder how they taste, basically, and even though I know they aren't ready, I taste them anyway.

I have my first batch of partial grain bottled right now, and I swore I'd let it go 3 weeks.

Tonight I rinsed a Grolsch bottle a friend gave back to me and went to put it in the box I keep bottles in. I saw all the other bottles closed and thought, 'Why did I shut them all? They need to be open to not get nasty inside!', and I reached over and opened the swing top. A gust of pressured CO2 came out and I wondered how that happened for a second before I remembered that I bottled a Belgian pale ale last week in these bottles! This box is full of conditioning beer that I swore I would let go 3 weeks!

I really need to keep better records, I am impatient and disorganized about stuff too much!

So, I shut it really quick and thought about leaving it in the fridge to drink, but I decided to let it sit with the others and condition the entire 3 weeks. It probably won't be as carbed, but I swore I'd let them all go 3 weeks, so I'm going to, and this will be my learning lesson, the hard way.

Anybody else done something like that? Opened a beer before it was ready, on accident?

What else has happened because you were hasty or disorganized?

Well, I have a batch of California Common half of which may or may not have had priming sugar and I have no way of telling which half is or is not properly carbonated.

I forgot to mix in my priming sugar into a few if my beers multiple times. I would have a few that were super carbed, two that are perfect, then the rest are flat as puck. I'm actually drink one right now. I forgot about a whole box of beer before also because of disorganization. It was a pleasant surprise but organization is something that I could work on also.

Back