Low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJGrip

Reaction score
Hi, being pretty new to brewing I tried a small batch for my first All Grain brew, but my OG has come out at 1.026!

I boiled 7 Ltrs/ 1.5 Gallons of water and added 1.8lbs pale malt, 0.3 lbs crystal & 0.075 lbs chocolate malt.

I got this calculation by dividing my Recipe according to the batch size I was doing. Does this sound correct? Have I just not boiled enough grain?

When my boil went down I topped up with another litre or two.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have of course been reading up before I attempted. Although the link you have given looks very useful.

I correct my explanation. I didn't put the grains in boiling water. I only brought the temp up to below boiling after the grains were out for the hop process.

Is my problem simply that the sugars haven't released from the grain? Or is it that I've added water after the mash? Your link seems to think this is ok to do.... Providing you've used the correct amount of grain.

I am still confused about your process. Did you mash with 1.5 gal? or is that the final volume? How was the crush on your grains? What temp did you mash at?

Thank you for your replies.

I brought 1.5 Gallons of water to boil then let it cool down to 155F. Then left the grains in for an hour keeping at the temp.

Then took grains out kept at simmer for a further hour adding hops. As the water evaporated I topped up during the boil.

Grains were crushed when brought. I made sure of that but I don't know what they look like in crushed.

What would the effects be if it was to hot during the mash? Surely just a burnt taste? Or could I have mashed to low? I assume the problem is that the sugars have not been released or not enough grain in the first place?

Thank you for your replies.

I brought 1.5 Gallons of water to boil then let it cool down to 155F. Then left the grains in for an hour keeping at the temp.

Then took grains out kept at simmer for a further hour adding hops. As the water evaporated I topped up during the boil.

Grains were crushed when brought. I made sure of that but I don't know what they look like in crushed.

What would the effects be if it was to hot during the mash? Surely just a burnt taste? Or could I have mashed to low? I assume the problem is that the sugars have not been released or not enough grain in the first place?

Did you boil for that hour after mashing at 155, or just simmer? Did it reach boiling temps?

How much did you top off with? What was the total volume when you got a 1.026 OG reading.

Back