Copper Prices!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcb317

Reaction score
I swear every time i check coppertubingsales.com it gets cheaper and cheaper. Its down to $40.05 ($53 shipped to PA) for 50 feet of 5/8" refrigeration tubing!! I checked a couple days ago and it was $65 shipped. I think its time to upgrade my immersion chiller! :ban:

Even after shipping, I still got my 3/8" cheaper locally....

Still a darned good price if you aren't close to a decently priced supply shop...

I wouldn't wait too long though, China has started to pull out of their slow-down and it was metal demand there & in India that drove prices up so much last year.

Home depot the other day had 50' of 1/4" copper tubing for like $20.xx Ridiculous! My friend hooked me up with about 25' of 3/8" though. Looks like I'll be moving to an immersion chiller sooner than I thought!

I picked up a 50' roll of 3/8" ref. tubing for $38.41 last week @ lowes. That made a nice IC.

yea, copper prices were crazy last year. everything that is metal should be coming down in price. some things will, others wont.

time for a convoluted copper IC

hermscoil.jpg

Just ordered 50' of 1/2" as well for 40 bucks shipped! Have been looking at Lowes for 2 weeks and the copper prices there are just retarded...Like...56 for 50' of 3/8 OD. W00t.

Just ordered 50' of 1/2" as well for 40 bucks shipped! Have been looking at Lowes for 2 weeks and the copper prices there are just retarded...Like...56 for 50' of 3/8 OD. W00t.

The reason Lowes, Ace, Homedepot, etc.. are higher is that they dont move inventory on stuff like this quickly, so they probably put into inventory when copper prices were still high, thus the price is set at those rates. Most people going to Lowes to buy tubing probably wont know any better. A place like coppertubingsales.com does high volume of just tubing, so they can be more closely matched to the market.

I just bought 50' of 1/2 copper tubing from these guys. The original price was $30 but with shipping to Denver, CO it ended up being $50. This is still WAY better than Home Depot or Lowes though so I'm happy!

The twisted copper looks cool, but I have think that it would be that much harder to get clean.

kcstrom

It is not about how it looks.....
Without going into too much in thermodynamics, turbulence in the flow dramatically increases heat transfer.

Check out B3. They sell 50 feet of it for $175

It is not about how it looks.....
Without going into too much in thermodynamics, turbulence in the flow dramatically increases heat transfer.

Not to mention the increased surface area on both the cooling water and the wort side.

There is this wicked awesome tubing that Trane uses in its large (2000ton size) centrifugal chillers as condensor tubes. It has grooves inside, and outside of the tube to maximize the surface area. As far as I know, you cant buy it normally.

8 months ago I was scrapping copper for $3.10 per lb. and stainless for $1.00.

A few weeks ago copper was $1.00 and stainless was 10-15 CENTS per lb.

Back