Cooper's IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tatty808

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm fairly new to brewing. I have made a wherry and a cider which went really well. So, I made a Cooper's IPA on Monday and by Thursday there seems to be no bubbling or activity. Question is, I have some yeast from a Cooper's lager and was wondering if it would be ok to add it to the IPA and get the Brew started again? Didn't check the SG so can't rely on that to tell me if it finished.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont know much about these cooper kits. I would think getting the OG isnt as important as the FG since this is basically an extract kit so your OG is predestined. Does the instructions have what the predicted OG and FG are supposed to be? The only way you'll know when it's done is checking with a hydrometer. Dont add more yeast. You need to see where it's at.

Btw welcome to the forum and the hobby !

Hi All,
I'm fairly new to brewing. I have made a wherry and a cider which went really well. So, I made a Cooper's IPA on Monday and by Thursday there seems to be no bubbling or activity. Question is, I have some yeast from a Cooper's lager and was wondering if it would be ok to add it to the IPA and get the Brew started again? Didn't check the SG so can't rely on that to tell me if it finished.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 things to think about.
1. Ale yeasts act pretty fast. The major part of the fermentation may be done in 3 days. After that period there is no more CO2 being produced by the yeast.
2. Many fermenters leak a little, not enough to keep it from bubbling in the fast part of the fermentation but when it slows down the airlock stops bubbling.

I agree with RM-MN, you may have missed fermentation, sometimes they can go that quick, but you need the gravity readings, thats how you can tell if it is done, also with the leaking fermenter i think he has a good point, that happened to me as well with a Big Mouth Bubbler with the old lid as a gasket.

Where are you talking not seeing any activity, is the fermenter clear so that you can see the cavitation of the wort and all the little goodies floating around, or are you relying on the activity in the air lock bubbles, I know its weird but I enjoy my clear fermenter so that I can see the activity IN the fermenter not necessarily relying on the air lock.

Take a FG and see what that says, if your under 1.010 take another FG reading tomorrow and if it is the same package it and enjoy.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies. I think you might be right about the leaky fermenter! Noticed that the gasket is a bit worse for wear! Will check the FG reading tonight and tomorrow.
Hopefully all is well. Thanks for the advice.
Tatty

generally, especially with basic ale kits, it pays to just leave it for 2-3 weeks and let the yeast clean up any side products of the initial quick fermentation.

Hi guys,
I checked the FG today and it read 1.010 . So if I followed the instructions ie: put in Cooper's IPA and the 1.2 kg liquid malt extract and the yeast it should of been around 1.050 . So if in 2 weeks prior to bottling do I add more sugar to "carbonate " it? Thanks for any help!
Tatty

Thanks Jag, I think you're right, I would assume that the yeast has done it's job as the FG is 1 .010
Thanks again.
Tatty.

Back