Maple Syrup Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillBaxter

Reaction score
Hey all, just a quick question.

I know the maple syrup problem has been fairly well covered here but I have a specific question: I just brewed a porter (one gallon all grain batch) with an estimated OG of 1.061 but which came out at a whopping 1.110. I assume this is simply because of the maple syrup addition (24 liquid oz at flameout). I'm afraid that my finished beer will be super dry and fairly high in alcohol considering how fermentable maple syrup is. Can anyone confirm this? Is my batch pretty much ruined?

Need more deets! What yeast strain? Starter? Volume? Oxygenated?

I'd be more worried about a stuck fermentation than over fermentation at that gravity. However of it does come out dry just add more maple syrup to balance it out and give it a real kick of maple

1 Gallon batch, used Safale US 05 dry ale yeast simply pitched into the Carboy. It was not oxygenated.

I shook it, just not before I took the sample for the hydrometer because I wanted to take the reading pre-pitch. Have I erred? :)

Ruined, no. Alcoholic sweet mess, yes

Your beer is going to taste like a thick rum lol.
Only thing i can suggest is to brew a 1gal batch of a lower gravity porter and blend the 2.

Crazy maple addition. I used 24oz for a 5gal batch and it came out very strong, which i wanted. Touch of woody tones some vanillin and brown sugar.
Use GRADE B AMBER and pitch at the end of high krausen next time also.
I never heat maple or honey, The moisture content is to low for anything to grow in them, or so ive heard yet had no problem.

Johnnyhitch1 said:
Use GRADE B AMBER and pitch at the end of high krausen next time also.
I never heat maple or honey, The moisture content is to low for anything to grow in them, or so ive heard yet had no problem.

So you're saying I should add the syrup at flameout AND high krausen or JUST high krausen? And if I'm adding it at high krausen do I simply pour into my fermenter and reattach the cap and airlock? Thanks for your advice!

NO.
When you apply heat to delicate adjuncts like maple, honey, some aromatic herbs and wine must your driving off that desired flavor/aroma thus providing no real reason for the process in the first place.

As to not stress the yeast do your normal AG/PM/EX recipe WITHOUT the maple and pitch yeast and a recommended temp
Once at high krausen wait another day or so till you see it JUST dieing down.(The true term is a 2/3 sugar addition where 2/3 of the sugar has been fermented)
Pitch your sugar addition (maple) now and you should see it krausen again the next day.
Take your normal FG readings and post your exact measurements in the brew science forum to calculate corrected ABV lol

Cheers! as i said just finished a maple whiskey stout for nest fall with this exact technique used. I had tons of maple on the back end, very pleasing.

Ah I see! Thank you so much for your valuable input. I'll try another batch soon with your technique and see how it turns out!

I'm reviving this thread as I am looking at some porter combinations and maple porter is up for consideration.

I have a question about adding the non-heated maple syrup... how do you get it to mix? Seems it would just settle to the bottom in the trub.

thx

I have the same question. I'm looking to do a maple porter and I'm concerned that adding it to the fermenter, it won't blend. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back