Wyeast 1187 ringwood ale problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElmvaleBeer

Reaction score
Hey, this is my third batch of beer and I decided to try out Wyeast 1187 Ringwood. After 72 hours of sitting in the Carboy there is still no fermentation. I first two batches took more or less then 24 hours to start fermenting. I know Ringwood is a slow started but this seems too slow. I take great care in sensitization of my equipment and I pitched the yeast at the correct temperature. The fermenter is sitting at a temperature of 70 degrees. Is it me or is it the yeast?

The temperature you've got it at seems appropriate. How old was the yeast (there's a "manufactured" date on the package). Did you make a starter?

Did not make a starter. Only used the smack pack. Forgot to check the date before used, just looked now. Said it was manufactured in Jan 2013. How long can yeast be stored? Did I get sold an expired packaged? Is there anything I can do to save my beer?

... manufactured in Jan 2013. How long can yeast be stored?

It somewhat depends on how the yeast was stored. Was it kept cool (i.e. in the fridge) the whole time? Or was it left out? These are just rhetorical questions...

Did I get sold an expired packaged?
They don't really expire, but their viability (i.e. the amount of live vs. dead cells) does decrease over time. As @MannyZ says, MrMalty estimates viability of 14% based on the manufactured date you provided. I believe that MrMalty assumes that storage conditions were ideal (i.e. yeast was kept cool).

Is there anything I can do to save my beer?

I've had some yeasts take their sweet time in getting their acts together and start makin' me some ethanol. So I would suggest giving it another few days... IF your fermentation vessel sealed. If there's still no activity in a few days, I would suggest pitching some fresh yeast.

I stored the yeast at the temperature advertised on the packaged. I will give it a couple more days. Thanks for the advice.

I did this recently, same yeast, no starter, mine was maybe 1.068 or so OG. It took about 3 full days to kick off then was fine. Not ideal and tastes well a little interesting? I don't know if that's the yeast characteristic or a flaw...

but yeah, let er sit she'll start at some point ;)

Did not make a starter.

Here was your main issue ^^^^. ringwood is very slow to start and fast to ferment. it is also an oxygen hog, because of that it favors open fermentation. i use ringwood a lot and always make a 1 qt starter and oxygenate well

I pitched a 1 qt starter of ringwood yesterday at 3 pm in my IIPA, this morning i woke to A 4" head

It is just starting to ferment now. Glynn, any suggestions on types of beer ringwood works best for. My last brew was an IPA

It is just starting to ferment now. Glynn, any suggestions on types of beer ringwood works best for. My last brew was an IPA

IPA, IIPA, English pale ales, reds or any beer that you want to under attenuate to give it a malty sweetness. I use it in mainly in hoppy red ales and IIPA'S. My dipa had a og of 1.084 and should end up around 1.020/18.

I've tried 1187 for stout, "English like" ale and American IPA. Made a starter since splitting it for 2 batches. It attenuates really well but might need rousing since it prefers open fermentation. It does needs a diacetyl rest.

I prefer more neutral yeasts for American IPAs but it still makes drinkable IPAs (tho on the tarter side - so carefully select hops). My $.02. :)

I have had ringwood on many occasions attenuate very well, in the 1.010 or lower range. its a good yeast and once you understand its "nature" its very easy to work with

Hi guys, hate to drag up an old thread but this seemed the most appropriate place. I smacked the pack last night, and after 4 hours it was barely expanding. Decided to pitch into a 2L starter anyways, been sitting for 12 hours now and barely making any foam. The date of mine is September 2nd 2014.

I've just finished reviving an old White Labs lager vial that had a best by date of Sept 19 2014, which means production dates was 4 months earlier, which makes it 6 months old. It took a solid 20 hours to get going in my starter but then finished up about 24 hours later. My starter size was smaller. You can probably expect similar results (20-24 hours "lag" time) followed by fairly quick propagation once it gets going (assuming you're using a stir plate). Hang in there :D

Edit: I looks like wyeast dates are manufacturer dates so that should be some really viable yeast (2.5 months old).

Hey, this is my third batch of beer and I decided to try out Wyeast 1187 Ringwood. After 72 hours of sitting in the Carboy there is still no fermentation. I first two batches took more or less then 24 hours to start fermenting. I know Ringwood is a slow started but this seems too slow. I take great care in sensitization of my equipment and I pitched the yeast at the correct temperature. The fermenter is sitting at a temperature of 70 degrees. Is it me or is it the yeast?

Im having the same issue ... its going on 72 hours and Im worried and wondering if I should repitch or dump my wort. I know its been a long time but do you know how long after it started or did it ever activated?

Im having the same issue ... its going on 72 hours and Im worried and wondering if I should repitch or dump my wort. I know its been a long time but do you know how long after it started or did it ever activated?

Have you taken a gravity reading? Why is this not the FIRST thing anyone does before even posting online... we say it again and again and again, it was even mentioned (and ignored) at the start of this thread...

How do you REALLY know you don't have fermentation occurring if you haven't actually taken a gravity reading?

Have you taken a gravity reading? Why is this not the FIRST thing anyone does before even posting online... we say it again and again and again, it was even mentioned (and ignored) at the start of this thread...

How do you REALLY know you don't have fermentation occurring if you haven't actually taken a gravity reading?

Im assuming cause this is unusual from all the batches Ive done. Thanks from the tips I will do one tonight but what if.

It seems unlikely that ElmvaleBeer will reply considering they only have 4 posts total. I can see from the timeline of their posts that at the first post they mention 72 hours had passed. They post again about 17 hours later saying that fermentation was just starting. From that I would glean that it took them about 89 hours for fermentation to start.

CERTAINLY, do not dump you wort. If anything, pitch some new yeast in there. S-04 dry yeast would work well as a cheap, easy, fast option that gives plenty of esters like 1187 (different esters but plenty of them).

Cheers!

It seems unlikely that ElmvaleBeer will reply considering they only have 4 posts total. I can see from the timeline of their posts that at the first post they mention 72 hours had passed. They post again about 17 hours later saying that fermentation was just starting. From that I would glean that it took them about 89 hours for fermentation to start.

CERTAINLY, do not dump you wort. If anything, pitch some new yeast in there. S-04 dry yeast would work well as a cheap, easy, fast option that gives plenty of esters like 1187 (different esters but plenty of them).

Cheers!

I have another Ringwood Ale pack so in worst case I will repitch that one

Back